Snowliage #1

Autumn 2020 photo project, taken 10/30/20 in Wellesley Hills Massachusetts

Snowliage is a term for that rare combination of autumn foliage and snow. The day of 10/30/20 saw a record (for all of October) snowfall of 5 inches. This was also the first time eastern Massachusetts has had October snow since 2011. Luckily there were still a good number of maple trees around that that still had fall color on them. Some of the best trees that I found were in a local cemetery, which was also good because there was nobody else around either. I love to be able to create images that tell the story of seasonal transition, and this colorful maple covered in heavy, wet snow does a great job of telling that story.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, 180mm ISO 640. 1/40sec at f11

Snowliage October 2020

Rework with cooler understory, as suggested by Igor Doncov.

4 Likes

An interesting sidebar to this October Snowliage image posted above is that in late April 2020, we also experienced a spring snowstorm that for the first time ever allowed me to photograph spring foliage and buds on the trees while they were covered in snow. Interestingly, one of the few places that had trees with buds in April was at the same cemetery that I got my October Snowliage images. I’m posting that April Snowliage image here for comparison to the October snowliage one. In fact, it might even be from the same tree, or one right next to it. I posted this April image earlier this year at NPN.

I’m not asking for a comparison of the two images, the April image is for illustration only. Please direct your critique at the original post of the autumn Snowliage.

April Snowliage

1 Like

This simply beautiful Ed. This motif of snow on full colored leaves seems to always come out well. I thought ‘what if the tree understory was blue instead of neutral’. So I tried it. I can’t say it’s significantly better but it’s worth a look if you want to try.

Ed, this looks like a painting to me , beautiful palette of colors. I like how you isolate these type shots to the essence of the scene.

While I like the blast of color, the second April image is drop dead gorgeous! The red/white contrast sings and it seems to really simplify an image with a lot going on. Outstanding image.

Ed, I know you mentioned that you were only looking for a critique on the first image so I will only say that I think they would make for a beautiful pair of companion pieces. The October image has a wonderful blend of greens and reds contrasted beautifully with the fresh snowfall. I think the bottom strip with the BG vegetation only makes this scene stronger. I am also enjoying the snow on the tops of the branches . This is a really lovely image!

Ed - this really is a lovely abstract scene. As well as the lovely colour pallet that others have already commented on I’m really taken with the snow covered tree limbs which for me add a sense of depth to the image.

Ed, I have no critiques, just a couple :+1: :+1: for a fine image.

@Mario_Cornacchione @Michael_Lowe @Igor_Doncov @Bill_Crich @Ed_Lowe @Harley_Goldman - thank you all for taking the time to comment on my image, I appreciate your thoughts.

Igor, thank you for the suggestion on cooling the tree understory, I think it helps. I have posted a rework doing back up top for comparison. I also darkened the shadows there slightly too. I think the combined effect of these two tweaks is to make the tree pop out a bit more. It was originally cooler there, and I wrmed that up in processing my initial post. I think restoring the cooler WB in the shadows look more natural when I compare them side by side.

This is a very nice scene, with a beautiful light, but my eyes are always looking to the right side of the image; the beautiful contrast of red leaf’s with black and white. just a note.
(the April shot is a beauty).