Snowliage

Autumn foliage taken the morning after an early snowfall in Massachusetts. This was taken during late October in a year when the trees turned later than normal and peak color was still around for the first snow. These “snowliage” conditions only happen once every 5 or 6 years where I live in Massachusetts, so I felt very lucky to get this while the trees were still in such great shape.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

composition / processing /any other comments
the snow was very cool, and I warmed it up some, while leaving the shadows cooler, but am looking for comments on the whites of the snow

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Real pretty scene, Ed. The processing looks very good. The snow as presented looks quite realistic for the light conditions. You could brighten the whites a bit for some more pop, but that gets into personal preference. I pulled it into PS and did a quicky selective color layer. I prefer it with the snow whiter, but it looks great as presented.

Thanks Harley, I was a little paranoid about burning out the snow, but I think you are right about having a little more room to go up here.

Beautiful, Ed. Nothing like fall foliage accented with fresh snow! Composition and processing look good to me.

Ed, love the term “snowliage!” Perfect. And a great image to fit that description. I like that you’ve framed this tight - but then I also what might be outside of the frame here for a little more room? Also, I am drawn right away to the opening below and left of center. It’s like a window or a portal to another scene; any smaller though and it might be a distraction. But in this case I think an asset.

Regarding the snow, yeah, I think it works well as presented, given the light, etc. Thankfully there are leaves scattered on the ground to provide some texture and detail. Snow can get pretty unexciting all by itself.

Lon

Ed, to me the snow could be a little cooler. I love the leaves on the fresh snow, it really helps. Nice work!

Beautiful intimate scene Ed.
Love the combo of the colors with the snow. Living in MA I also heard that term a few times this season and cannot recall hearing it prior to this year.

Lon mentions the small box like area that draws your eye, that is true for me and think it may be taking away from the rest of the image. Would try to darken that box area so it draws less attention.

Also think you could add a little more brightness/color to the leaves on the snow and the color in the lower background. Those are pretty elements but I think could be brought out to more prominence.

@Lon_Overacker, @Alan_Kreyger, @Dave_Dillemuth, and @Matt_Reynolds thank you for comments, they are much appreciated. Matt I think your suggestions for improvement are helpful, and have done a re-work with the “box area” burned down, and some of the snow and leaf colors increased in luminosity.

The term “snowliage” was used on a PBS/BBC TV production called "Autumnwatch New England " that ran this year, and I thought it fit nicely to this image.

Difference is subtle but I think improved. Well done.

For me this is about the snow on the still brightly colored leaves. Although I appreciate the full tree and the leaves on the ground I would go for the jugular - a more abstract version that includes everything above the big fork in the branch. The comp as is feels a bit awkward in that it is weighed to the right. The colors and overall brightness is great.

Igor thanks for the comment, here is the going for the jugular approach. I normally don’t like square-ish crops, but this works

I meant this: