Solitary Harrier

True meaning of refuge.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is a highly processed image. The original file is roughly 9500 pixels by 5000 pixels or 61 megapixels, and what you see here in the picture is approximately 75% of full frame. iso 640 process for noise reduction for the enlargement. Image was processed in DxO photo lab 3 for noise reduction. Then using the new Topaz AI suite, the image was doubled in size with Gigapixel AI, Additional noise reduction with Topaz DeNoise AI, and finally sharpening in Topaz sharpen AI.
The image was then converted to JPEG with TK Sharpening action at 1% sharpening for the web.
I have seen some very impressive use of the Topaz AI suite in making totally unusable images quite presentable. I have yet personally to achieve the kinds of results I have seen posted on the web; however, there is definitely improvement between doing this type of processing and of raw image. second image is unprocessed original except for web conversion.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-640, 100-400+1.4 extender at 560 mm, F8, 2000th, handheld, A7 R4, roughly 75% of full frame.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very well captured, David. Actually I like the original even better than the cropped version - I think there’s a stronger sense of the environment and the bird is somehow better poised against the water

An interesting suite of processing tools, David. The end result looks quit good. I’ve yet to try those combinations, but they are certainly tempting. It certainly fits the theme.

That’s a whole lot of processing, David! I clicked twice on your original version for a closer look at the bird and I don’t see much difference between that and the cropped version with all the processing and I don’t really see much in the way of noise either. I think I would have just cropped it, used Topaz Clarity or Topaz Detail to apply a little bit of micro contrast (to bring out the details) and then sharpened it after sizing it for the web. Nice choice for the theme, btw!

Dennis, the details in the hawk and how it’s colors blend with the grasses looks great. The “cropped” version emphasizes the color blend and hawk’s details well.