No! This is my perch!

]

A couple of what I think are Northern Harriers fighting over territory. There is a lot of processing in these images because they were so far away. But the action is worth it I think. The perch is about 200 m from the camera. The background trees are approximately 600+ meters from the camera position. It certainly created an interesting effect.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Anybody have any ideas on how to make it better. Images were processed in DxO photo lab 4, Topaz De noise AI, Topaz sharpen AI, and converted to JPEG with TK sharpening action. The crops average approximately 20% of full frame.

The un-enlarged crop gives you some idea as to the original image. Wish I was a lot closer!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-320, 400+ 2X extender, F5 .6, 2500th, A7r4, handheld, images are averaging between 15 and 25% of full frame with the exception of the one un-cropped image.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David
The first question I have is, why did to leave DxOPhotoLab 4 and go into the Topaz group of software? The new DxO has vary good noise control and you have used local adjustments to control the selection tone, color-vibrancy, saturation and sharpening, on the Harries? It also give you bicubic sharping for jags. I believe Topaz sharpen AI has ( sharpen, focus & camera motion) correction. Witch one did you use. The Harriers look great. The background on shot 1, 3 & 4, are a little distracting. The auction and detail of the Harriers make the series well worth the effort. Nice work
Peter

A really nice series of action shots David. Looks like somebody is intruding. I am wondering if the perched hawk is not a rough legged. That looks like great habitat for photography. Sorry can’t help you on any of the technical questions.

Hi David, nice interaction shown in the series. There must be something special about that solitary perch. I doubt I could be much help on the technical side here - sorry.

David - really nice control on the DOF to focus attention on the birds - I think if any of the background had been in focus it would have been too busy to concentrate on the hawks. Great set of captures that tell a story. I think if it was me I would use images 1, 3 and 4 in a storyboard sequence. Great work.

A very cool series David, pity you weren’t a bit closer. The perched bird looks to be an immature Red-tailed Hawk that the Harrier is harassing.