Solitude (B&W)

This is new journey into infrared photography with a converted camera (Nikon D300). As I looked for compositions that would lend themselves to b&w, this struck me as a good candidate. I felt the cabin lended an interesting perspective.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all critiques are welcome!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Same as above.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
All post processing was done in Lightroom; white balance and adjustments in the basic panel.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

annalwilson

1 Like

Beautiful Anna. I love the clarity and the tones in this a lot. No suggestions at all from me. The only way this could be nicer would be if I owned that cabin.

1 Like

I like the image, IR works well and the mountains stand out beautifully. I like the positioning of the cabin. The only thing - and there is nothing you could have done to change it- that takes away from the image for me is the dominance of the pine forest.

Thank you! It’s definitely off the grid.

Thank you for your comment! That pine forest is definitely a dominant feature but I thought it added to the story of man’s insignificance?

1 Like

Beautiful photo Anna. If you hadn’t mentioned it, I would have thought that it was just an excellently crafted “normal” black and white.

Wonderful infrared image Anna. Superb clarity and detail.

Thank you all. I’ve been finding that working with infrared has a larger learning curve than expected. This will help me keep working at it!

I like your processing here, the sky and mountains especially have really nice tonalities. While the cabin has strong visual weight despite ts small size, I think adding some vignetting along the bottom edge would accentuate the cabin even more, Darkening that front row of trees would place more emphasis on the cabin. I also agree with @jaapv that the pine forest is more dominant than I would like… I think darkening the midtones of that forest would help, and again would place more emphasis on the cabin. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

1 Like

Thx for the suggestions and example! It makes me wish that I also shot this with my non-infrared camera and converted the image to b&w for comparison.