Some Wild Turkeys

The local tom turkeys are into their strutting season and I caught some this morning practicing their chops for the gals. There were none around.

Specific Feedback Requested

I cropped this as a mostly centered subject with a little nod to the direction they were moving. Does it work?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, cropped to 4832 x 3138, AI Clear

1 Like

How great you got to watch this. I wish a tom was more isolated - right now it’s a little hard to tell him from her at first glance since they overlap so much. And the other tom is facing away so there isn’t much drama here as there might be. Do you have other images? The sharpness and detail looks a little soft to my eyes. I bet they were pretty energetic!

These are all males… The beards are the tell.

Nice job, Dave! You captured quite the in the moment action! Typical guys! Always showing off! Haha! They really are pretty though. So much more colorful than what I’ve seen. It makes me think I might have only seen the female turkeys. Do they hang out in separate groups? Beautiful wildlife documentary type photo.

They are a very pretty bird. strange looking things but very photogenic. Lovely colors. The overlap of the two birds of very similar colors does confuse things a bit. Hopefully they keep strutting around and you get more opportunities.

I like this, Dave. The crop looks fine to me. I would be tempted to add some blur to the foreground.

Hi Dave, this looks good to me. Nice group of Toms strutting their stuff and I like their various poses. I think these are quite photogenic birds and I think you captured them well here.