Tom Strut

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is one of 3 tom turkeys showing off for a hen out back yesterday morning. It was a low light, overcast morning so I didn’t manage to get any of their magical iridescent feathers that I like to see. He was pretty close so I didn’t have a lot of cropping room. I realize this is the wrong holiday to select a turkey…

Specific Feedback

Cropping okay?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1000th, f 9.0, 1/1000th, 840mm, ISO 6400, cropped to 3856 x 2948

1 Like

I like this better than one with iridescence – so much nice detail in the feathers! Excellent DOF.

Perfect depth of field to get the whole bird sharp, Dave. The detail is really awesome in this shot.

P.S. I think I’d rather have a tom turkey in my back yard that a wild boar, despite the holiday.

1 Like

Hi Dave, wonderful feather detail with nice DOF. Great to see this guy on display. A real treat for you and for us!

Nice detail in the feathers as has been said Dave. I would also like to see more of the habitat around it from time to time. This looks like some of the birds that have taken over the town of Folsom, just down the hill from the Sierra foothills. Apparently some of them have become kind of aggressive from time to time there, they travel in good sized flocks and shut down roadways from time to time according to some of my friends up there.