Tom Stepping

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We get turkeys coming thru our backyard pretty regularly and it’s always nice to see, and shoot the toms showing off. (I just read that these guys have 4 to 5 thousand feathers!)

Specific Feedback

Cropping? This guy was not far away so he filled up the frame for a bit of a tight crop which I’m okay with for getting to scrutinize his amazing feather textures.

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1000th, f 9.0, 340mm, ISO 14400, cropped to 5949 x 5170

3 Likes

The crop works fine for me, Dave. You might play with darkening the background a bit and definitely bring down those foreground leaves as they are bright enough to really pull the eye.

Wow! Dave the detail here is excellent. I think the surrounding greens really make “Tom” stand out in this. Great shot. It is a bit tight, but that just accentuates the bird. You should put this in this weekly challenge for an unusual composition.

Beautiful look at the tom and with the leg position he’s really strutting his stuff. I’d play around with Dennis’s suggestions and see how it looks to you.

Great image of this turkey. What a brilliant bird so well rendered. I could see adding a tad of space on left and top if no distractions came into play. A fine catch either way.