Southern Utah sunset

During my recent visit to Southern Utah we had some amazing sunsets, I think actually helped by the omnipresent haze in certain areas. This is an example.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments and suggestions welcome. Especially concerning saturation and brightness (should I tone down the really bright spots in the sky?) Concerning the brightness, please look at the photo full size after double clicking before commenting. Thanks!!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D IV, 70-200 II L lens shot at 70 mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/4 second, heavily cropped.

Tony, it is a beautiful, powerful scene, with plenty to draw my eye. However, and this personal taste of course, I find the sky over-done, even garish to the point that it almost obliterates the exceptional drama and subtle colours and textures of the foreground. Personally, I’d like to see the sky toned down, maybe even desaturated a bit and, in addition, I might consider cropping from the top (to the first dark bit in the sky on the right of the frame).
P.S. I did look at the image full size on my 27" screen.

Tony, I like how the foreground peak points to the setting sun and the textures in the land. I wish the area near the sun were darker, but I think burning that area in will create some weird colors. This looks like an example where two shots at different exposures blended later would let you hold the details in the foreground and in the sky. The white sky areas will always be white, but would be easier to look at if they weren’t so bright.

Thanks @Kerry_Gordon and @Mark_Seaver. I think both the suggestions are good, although I still like the original because it is so over the top it looks like it could be from Mars. Here is the rework with the suggestions implimented:

1 Like

And just for fun, here is the original uncropped photo. Which do you prefer?

1 Like

Real nice image and an interesting study. I like the full frame, but cropped kinda pano, above the intent LRC and on the top along the lines of the original. The bright area does not bother me at all, but I think it works and is more balanced with the peaks to the left included.

Thanks for the feedback Harley.