Spartina Spikes

I shot this well before sunrise in the marsh. It was absolutely quiet without even a hint of a breeze. This is actually a color image and I did nothing special at all in the post processing except for burning the grass slightly.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any & all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any & all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

@simplynatureart

1 Like

Minimalism at itā€™s best, Bill! I love these kinds of images as they are so soothing and peaceful; a moment of zen if you will. I only have one small suggestion; just my personal preference; would be a little crop from the left and the top just to zero in on those reeds a little more. Anyway this is beautifully done.

1 Like

Thank you, Ed. I will try your suggestion.

Bill, I love the minimalism as well, and I agree with @Ed_Lowe about the crop. Thereā€™s just a bit too much negative space to my eye.

1 Like

Good minimalist image. A comment Iā€™ve made in the past seems appropriate here. The negative space in such should still have some tonal variation for best results. Itā€™s that nuanced variability that draws attention and interest.

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoy this image, Bill! It has the Michael McKenna / Bruce Percy feel to it, but youā€™ve made it uniquely your own. I appreciate the high-key, minimalist nature of it and that fact that you retained the subtle color in the reeds. I donā€™t know that I agree with others about the crop, as I think the negative space works wellā€¦ However, I am interested in getting a better understanding of how to accomplish what @Igor_Doncov mentioned, as I agree some more tonal variance could help to enhance the image, but Iā€™m not sure about how to add that tonal variance in a tasteful manner. Igor, any suggestions for introducing the ā€œnuanced variabilityā€ you speak of? Perhaps, a subtle horizon line or something of that nature?

Thank you @Craig_Moreau, @Igor_Doncov, & @Jimmy_Arcade for you comments and suggestions. Igor, Jimmy & I both have a question about the tonal variation . Are you taking about natural tonal variation or are you talking about introducing tonal variation from an outside source? Iā€™m asking because I was wondering if you thought I had eliminated any type of variation? In this case, I didnā€™t eliminate anything at all as there was nothing to eliminate, but I probably have toned down larger variations in the past.

@Ed_Lowe

I went back and cropped a bit as you suggested but donā€™t know if I cropped too much or not enough, so please give me your thoughts. Iā€™m one of those who happen to like negative space so Iā€™m probably not the best judge. Thanks again for your comments!

No, Bill. I just meant that have various shades of white would have been nice. I had no idea if this was possible. Sometimes people do raise the exposure in whites to remove all tonality for their negative space. It looks nice as a graphic in the manner you have created. It looks artistic to me.

1 Like

As a big fan of minimalist landscape photography, this shot ranks with the best: Simple, elegant, well-seen. Many photographers walk past scenes like this oblivious to the potential. I think the amount of negative space is fine. Deciding on the correct amount is always a struggle. Great work!

1 Like

Your edit nailed it for me, Bill. I think the crop places a bit more emphasis on the reeds while still retaining some negative space, which is so essential for this wonderful scene.

1 Like

Crop for me too Bill. I love the artistry here!

Thanks @Marc_McCann, @John_Williams for your comments and suggestions. Always greatly appreciated.