Spectator Heron

This Great Blue Heron watched us tee off at a golf course. I pulled out my Camera and he turned his head to look down the pond. (Maybe looking for the ball that just flew in there)

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any would be helpful. With just the water in the background, should I go for an even shallower DOF?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All feedback is helpful. Would it be more appealing if the background was blurry and a lighter green?

Would it be more appealing cropped more extensively?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Nikon D90 with Nikkor DX 18-300 lens. f/6.3, 1/1250, ISO 500
I increased the exposure on the water only, and reduced the saturation of the green in the water. Cropped to 62% of original pixels.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

As far as the crop is concerned, I like the setting and wouldn’t crop it more. In fact, if you have more on the bottom that includes the feet you might include that and more of the foreground grass.

1 Like

Thanks Allen. There is a slight slope to the grass, so the feet are not visible in the original either. The crop at the bottom was really just to straighten the grass.

Even if the feet aren’t visible in the original due to the grass, I would want the grass to include the “virtual” feet. We know they are there, but cutting the frame off at the bottom creates an uncomfortable crop.

Here is the image with no cropping. I did not capture much grass in the frame. So, I think that means your message would be the composition would be improved if I had framed so we could see the grass and realize his feet are below it. Correct?

Yes. I think it would have been stronger with more at the bottom.

1 Like