Spooky Woods A or B

Please help me decide.

Yesterday I came across a scene that is somewhat common in Alaska but less so where I live. It’s a subject that has interested me for quite some time but the opportunity just didn’t come up, until yesterday. It was an overcast day so the light was good for a forest scene. I shot this group of trees from several directions and have narrowed it down to these two. Now I like them both so my choice will change from day to day.

A:

or

B:

What say you?

Hey Igor,

My gut reaction without thinking about it was the second image. I think it was the symmetry and odd number of trunks that stood out to me

Igor, this does remind me of Alaska. These trees make for great subjects. And there are more subtle earth tone colors in this scene than what you might expect at first

i like them both too, but my slight preference is for the first one. The smaller amount of foreground makes the main tree feel more dominant. Yet even with less real estate devoted to the foreground, the colors and moss of the understory still come through.

In the second image, the main tree feels a slight bit too centered, although this is somewhat mitigated by now having two strong supporting trees arranged symmetrically. On the other hand, I kind of like having the bright green patch in the URC. Normally having bright areas near a frame edge can potentially be distracting, but it works here for me because it makes the image feel more “open”.

To me, the first image is primarily about the main tree, while the second is more about the forest. The tree does have a lot of character, which is why i have a slight preference for the first image.

Igor, I like the both. While they are ostensibly similar views, they result in quite different reactions from me. I like the offset main tree and how strongly the branches show in the first post. There’s also a subtle warmth, especially in the trunks. I like the extra details on the ground in the second post and the bits of brighter green along the upper right. The overall effect (from the extra green??) is a bit more foreboding. BTW do these both have the same white balance parameters?

No they don’t. I eyeballed the WB and tried to match the first to the second but you can see the difference. Or it may be that the browns are more saturated in the first.

@Ed_McGuirk, @Nathan_Klein Thank you for your input on this.

Igor, Ed explained my preference for the first image a lot better than I could. I do like them both though.
:vulcan_salute:

They both work but I think I prefer the composition in the second image. It has a somewhat better balance to my eye.

I like both, but prefer the first. My mind reacts to the trees better in the first, with their symmetry. But both work well.

Igor, I like B for the extra bit of brighter green at right, but the stump at the bottom grabs my eye. And if it were cropped you would lose the bottom of that one drooping branch on the middle tree. I think I tend to favor A, but I would crop in more only just enough to avoid the partial trunk on the right. Of course if you were so inclined, cloning the stump out could work nicely.

Igor,

Tough call! - These are both excellent, coherent and well crafted forest images. I’ll start by literally being analytical:

#1 Pro: Love the forest and trunk arrangement, and the off-center position of the main tree. I also like the hint of bg light in the UL - not too bright to distract, but a pleasing element. also like the color/WB here. Con: Partially included trunk on the right disrupts a bit for me. The moss/ferns in the LL pull the eye a little and detract from the main subject.

#2 Pro: Arrangement of trunks is much more pleasing; you’ve done well in positioning the camera for maximum display of the trees. I like that the forest floor and greenery(moss/ferns) are more supportive rather than pulling the eye away. Tree trunk is still off center and the composition is very strong. Con: Bright tree in the UR - I think a simple levels adjust / burn would bring that in line easily. I wish the color/WB was like the 1st image (subtle, but noticeable.)

In the end, I prefer the second considering the color/WB adj (if you’re so inclined) and a burn of the UR bg tree. I still really like the 1st, but ultimately the cut off trunk on the right does that one in - at least for me.

There you have it.

Lon

ps. I think posting 2 images to compare is a great way to make people think about their choices/critiques and also creates good discussion. Thanks Igor

Igor,

A. And I would crop a wee bit tighter on the right to clear out the portion of trunk and to put the focus on the tree front right center.

Shots in the woods like this are very difficult, but I like this a lot. Like our woods in Maine.

Chris

Igor, this does remind me of the tundra. Very interesting to see the pines in this condition. I really like the composition of the first one, looks a lot more balanced to me than the second one. I think the biggest trunk in the front is too centered on the second one. I also like the exclusion of the green patch at the lower right corner on the first one. I also like the brown color of the branches on the first one. Very nicely seen!

@Adhika_Lie - A
@Chris_Percival - A
@Lon_Overacker - B
@Bill_Leggett - A
@Harley_Goldman - A
@Dave_Dillemuth - B
@Michael_Lowe - A
@Mark_Seaver - undecided
@Ed_McGuirk - A
@Nathan_Klein - B

6 As and 3 Bs so far. There is no overwhelming favorite on these two images. I sort of suspected that. I should have stated that the choice should be made strictly on composition and not on color. Although comments o color improvement are greatly welcomed.

I think this says what you already felt, that both versions work pretty darn well. The processing and WB should not be a factor, they are not exactly the same, but are extremely similar.

Maybe it did not come across, but I prefer A.

1 Like

Good thing I read your second comment Igor cuz I was going to go for the second one based on the green that drew me in. If comp is the focus then the first is my preference - the woods seem deeper and clearer. But yep - both are great.

Wow, this is a tough one. Anytime I critique a forest scene, or any scene that tends to be chaotic in nature, I look at it as if I was looking at a larger print, say at least a 24x36 or larger where you can actually see and appreciate the detail and true nature of the image. Based on that parameter, I have to go with A, even though I think B looks better at the smaller size shown here. I think at a larger size the branches of A offer more contrast and visible detail than does B. I would definitely crop or clone the partially remaining trunk on the far right as that REALLY distracts from the image. In short, I like the comp of B better but I like the overall image and certainly the processing of A better. Both are very nicely done, however.

Another vote for A and I agree with a crop of the right partial trunk. The first image shows more trunk and branches and for me that is the most captivating part of the scene.
You really did a great job of creating depth and separation.