Spring Blooms

This was back in April in the early evening. It’s a farm field that I like to ride my bike to. The sun was hitting the blooming trees at the far end of the field just right.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything…

Technical Details

ISO 100, 300mm (360mm equivalent) , f6, 1/400. Did a slight crop from the bottom as I had included originally a strip of the green grass, but after the fact thought it kind of distracted, also there was a little sky showing through the pines in the top so I just healed it. Did some minor adjustments in exposure, highlights, contrast, brightness.

Hey Vanessa,

I really like this light against that blue backdrop, and I think you handled it well in post. I like that you healed the sky showing through up top and lost a thin layer of grass down below, as I’m sure I would have suggested those things!

I think you could crop even further in from the bottom, as all that darkness down there isn’t really doing much for the composition (the tree trunks don’t begin until a bit higher). More importantly on the cropping front, I would crop off the left just past that single vertical tree trunk near the edge of the frame - that’s slightly distracting and it also seems like the two “humps” of trees that form the basis of the composition are symmetrical and asking for centering.

Having said all that, I don’t know that there’s enough structure here for the composition to work. To me, it feels like the light and the idea and the processing are all there, but the tree trunks/branches and the shape of the treetops just aren’t interesting enough to justify the photograph. I do hope that you will continue to look out for situations like this, though, because if you find some more interesting/dynamic trees, you’ll be prepared to capture a great photograph if you handle it like you did this one!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I guess even though I don’t get to live in or have never even visited an ‘iconic’ place, at least I can practice with what I have, maybe get a couple of winners along the way, and then maybe be ready when I actually am presented with some stunning scenery! All of this has been super educational. I can’t wait to someday get to do a workshop. But this was awesome!