Tall trees in spring

This is an image from a session where I mainly concentrated on macros in the bluebell carpet at sunrise, but I also like the contrast between the flowers and the soft greens of spring.
I decided for a vertical image, because I like the tall beech trunks.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the d.o.f. too shallow to your liking? Are there still too many bluebells, i.o.w. do you prefer to crop a bit at the bottom?
Any other comment welcome as well, of course.

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk.iii, Sigma 4/100-300mm @216mm, ISO200, 1/60s, f/5.6.
Nothing special in processing except a bit curve correction. I deliberately kept the saturation low.

3 Likes

Hello Han! I don’t really mind the shallow depth of field here, though I do wish a bit more of the bluebells were in focus (or that you were positioned a bit higher so that it would be easier to see the ones that are in focus).

I also don’t mind the ratio of bluebells to forest, I think vertically the image is balanced pretty well overall, aside from the top and bottom being a bit busier and the middle being a bit empty.

The biggest issue for me is actually the placement of the trunks, and the left and right edges. Those three fat trunks on the left just barely touch each other, but don’t have enough separation to feel like different elements, so they just kind of meld together into a bit of an overpowering monolith. There is also the fact that the left edge of the frame is bright forest/leaves and the right edge is darker trunks. Those issues, combined with the fact that the foremost green foliage is also more prominent on the left, end up making the left side a lot more visually weighty than the right overall, throwing off the horizontal balance.

I feel like it overall needs more room horizontally - did you happen to shoot any horizontal frames? If so, perhaps one of them would work better. I know you went vertical because it emphasizes the height of the trunks, but I think the main elements just need more spacing and breathing room.

On a positive note, I think the processing is quite nice and very natural, and I really like the complementary colors of green and purple.

I find the contrast between the lavender flower and the forest to be too harsh. The two parts just seem at odds with one another with the saturated flowers getting most of the attention. Something to consider.

Thanks, @Alex_Noriega and @Igor_Doncov for taking the time to view the image and your comments! Much appreciated.
Yes, I have horizontal frames as well, and they probably will receive a different judgment, but they are less interesting to discuss as well. That’s one of the reasons that I decided to submit this one.
Igor, I see what you mean, and I highly respect your opinion (as always). But I don’t need to consider :smiling_face: For me, this is all about the color contrast.