Spring Pastels

Another view from my front porch looking out towards the woods between a couple of houses. The lighting was very soft and subtle due to an overcast day with periods of drizzling rain so I tried not to over process the image. Originally I was attracted to the scene because of the transition of yellow to green across the frame. Just wondering how the understated look works for everyone.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 16 @ 1/20 sec, ISO 400, MLU, cable release & tripod.

1 Like

Soothing immage Ed. I am really drawn to the left 1/3. I think this portion of the image is beautiful. It has a pastel, impressionistic feel.

Hello, Ed! Like @Mario_Cornacchione I too am drawn to the left side of the image but I feel my eye being drug back to the right. I’m thinking it is the strength in the trunk of the tree on the right. It feels “heavy” while the left side feels light and airy. Not necessarily bad as it paints a pretty good picture of what spring is like around me as well. Some new leaves, some old still hanging on, some twigs with nothing yet, others fully wrapped in leaves. I wonder how a crop of just the left side would look (more of a 5x4 or square), but then again you lose some of the nature of spring.

Please excuse my rambling and thinking while typing.

Ed, between these trees, and your previous redbud posts, it looks like next year in April we should be scheduling a Northeast Nature Photographers field trip to your front yard !!

I like the processing and colors you have here, you have really nailed that early yellow/green of spring. And the dark green moss on the left tree adds a nice change of pace that breaks up the uniformity of the yellows. I get drawn to the left third too, the dark green tree has a lot of visual weight. Yet the overall comp with three main trees looks well balanced visually, if you ignore the darker luminosity of the left tree. I might suggest slightly dodging the left third, to make it’s luminosity similar to the right 2/3’s of the image. That’s a nit though, overall I like this image a lot.

I myself shoot a lot of trees with horizontals instead of verticals, and I think that approach works well here. But since this is right in your front yard and it would be easy to do, I also see some potential for vertical tree portraits in the left 1/3, and the right 1/3.

This is very nice, a pleasant composition with a soft light.
If I want to be “picky” - is that a word? - I would suggest a little cloning both on UPC and ULC.

A lovely image, Ed, and I love the early spring colors. Yes, my eye is drawn initially to the large tree on the left, but that allows the brighter yellows leaves to seen first also, then my eye works its way back to the right, so it works out in the end. I have one suggestion - I believe it needs just a little more definition and punch. I downloaded and added a small boost (+6) in contrast and a small boost (+5) in yellow saturation. It’s a tiny change, I kinda like the difference but that’s subjective, of course.