Spring Color

I hope I am not being to redundant with these spring woodland images as I have a couple more left to process. As we all know forests by nature are chaotic so I tried to spread the elements out around the image starting with the three trees and trying to surround them with the spring color. There was a brighter toned tree along the left side which I cropped off and I think it balances the scene a little better. Just wondering how this works for everyone.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

all C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200 mm, f 16 1/25 sec, ISO 400, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

To my eye, this one has less appeal than the others. I finding the lower right quadrant is a big negative space and throws off the balance of the comp for me.

The first thing my eye jumps to is the branch that heads out of the image on the left at a 45deg angle. My eye really gets hung up on it. I also agree Harley that the lower right is unresolved. Perhaps if there were more pixels below to allow the small bush to be finished it would be okay. This may seem counterintuitive, to make the problem area bigger, but it might allow it resolve and give it a chance to breathe. The exposure and color impressionist look is quite nice.

Ed, I still like the style you make these last images in. I see a peaceful background and a colorful diagonal red and green leaves. A remark on my site could be you taking of some of the right and left side. Up to the bigger trees. To make the image more in balance.

Ed, the processing of exposure and colors look great here. The little bits of red carry a lot of visual weight despite being so small in the image. The image has something of a painterly feel to it, and i might even consider enhancing that further with the addition of a subtle Orton Effect.

In terms of composition, the spacing of the trees from left to right is well balanced. With that said, I agree with @Harley_Goldman about the negative space in the LRC. Because the leftmost tree is not in the same plane as the others, you were kind of forced into having the negative space once you decided to include the base of the left tree. In the chaos of the woods, it’s hard to find a row of trees all in the same plane, but it makes composition easier.

The suggestion by @eric9 to add space , while counter-intuitive, might make sense in this case (but you may not have another shot where you composed wider). The other thought I had was that part of the reason the negative space in the LRC bothers me is that the bushes are more or less the same color all across the bottom edge. It might be worth trying to shift the color and/or saturation of just the bush in the LRC, to make it stand out more, in effect adding an element in the LRC to fill the negative space.