Stained Glass at the Beach + Rework

REWORK w/Orton effect applied to edges, a bit of additional brightening using a Selective Color layer; thanks to all for your comments - the rework definitely has more of the luminosity I initially imagined.

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a composite from two older photos from a beach walk. The colors after combining the photos remind me of stained glass.

Specific Feedback

What about the overall brightness of this? It feels like it should be brighter, but all the ways I tried make the colors less rich. Any other comments welcome.

Technical Details

After basic exposure adjustments in ACR, processed in PS:
Screen Shot 2023-08-13 at 12.47.50 PM

1 Like

This is cool, Bonnie. I was going to go to a “feel” (though not really a look) of stained glass before I read your post. The original of the trees(?) creating the vertical is pretty special in itself, but the colors really make the image take off. A fascinating abstract.

1 Like

I really love this Bonnie! The colors were the first thing to jump out at me, causing me to then spend time with the patterns and textures. Stained glass certainly comes to my mind, but I admit the colors tend to stir my memories to a time in the past when I was a kid. Like crayons on roughly textured construction paper, or doing another fun activity. Sorry but I’m not sure how adding more brightness could improve the image as the colors appear quite vibrant on my screen, and you seem to be “coloring” on an already light backdrop (hope that makes sense). Maybe lift the blacks a touch?

1 Like

Wow, excellent final result Bonnie! The vertical lines mixed with the diagonals and the colors all blend so well to give that impression of stained glass. I also like Kenny’s interpretation of textured construction paper.

You could try an orton effect to make the highlights pop more. Might be worth experimenting. You could also try a curves adjustment layer and set the blend mode to luminosity mode so the colors are not affected.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @KennyThatcher, and @Alfredo_Mora. I’m glad you find the colors enjoyable.

Alfredo, that’s a good suggestion about the Orton effect. I always forget about using it. Kris had a good tip some time back about combining it with an edge mask to control the effect. When I use the Orton effect I usually do it that way. Will post a rework when I get back to my computer.

1 Like

This is really great Bonnie! I love those colours and the pattern of the black lines. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Thanks, @Tom_Nevesely!

@Dennis_Plank, I forgot to mention that the wider verticals are places in the driftwood where sand had collected. Both of these frames are of relatively small areas.

Bonnie, I just saw this. As usual I love your work. I have nothing constructive to add. :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Don_Peters! :slightly_smiling_face:

I liked the original but the rework is a huge improvement. The colors now are strong, as they should be for a stained glass representation.

1 Like