Stand Together

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These are the wild horses at the Steen Mountains in Oregon. I’ve had people tell me when shooting them that “separated” is best. Well…I wasn’t about to go up to them and ask them to stand apart. They snort, stomp the ground and throw their heads about. So, I took them group together and was happy for it. :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback

Is it not a good photograph b/c they are not separated? They were getting ready to just sleep, there were babies around, on the ground, already into their nap.

Technical Details

ISO 1600 / f6.3 / 1/3200

1 Like

Hi Judi - I like this a lot. I think you may get more comments in the Wildlife category instead of Landscape. You can move it there or I can if you agree.

Thank you! Can you move it please? Sorry that I put it in the wrong place.

I don’t know if it’s just me but with images like this one I try to figure out which legs belong to which horse.

2 Likes

Hi Judi - I moved your image to wildlife Critiques.

I am glad you don’t listen to what people have told you! This is a beautiful photo and the story is about the gathering of the horses together.

Hello Judi, I love your photo. I love the use of B&W; I love the softness of the light and contrast – it complements the muscular ripples of the horses. I love the crop and the aspect ratio; I feel that you (and the horses) have allowed me to get very close to them and witness a very intimate moment. And most of all, I love their close grouping. Horses are such social animals, and your composition evokes wonderful feelings. Thanks for sharing this with us!

1 Like

I like this image a lot, Judi. The visibility of the faces on the four horses in front is excellent and there are nice hints of interaction between them. I do wish the fifth horse in the background weren’t there since it doesn’t contribute much, but with it’s head invisible, it isn’t a deal breaker. The black and white works nicely.

This is a great photograph of beautiful creatures. Why would it be better to get them separated? Why would you try to get a picture that isn’t there? This is what you saw and it needed to be recorded. The mood of community in this picture is great. I for one am loving it the way it is.

Thanks so much! When I was shooting I was told by a guy that was an instructor (not mine), he hat separate is always better. Well babies were laying down and these mares were not going anywhere. It was hot and late morning. So I shot away not knowing if I would have the chance again or not (to see wild horses). Thanks again for your comments.

Thanks so much for the critique. I appreciate it!

Hi! Thank you very much for your kind words and thoughts on my picture. It was a fun trip bc I went with three photo friends and we were lucky enough to see the horses a few times. You kind of get what you get I guess. They won’t pose for me, that’s for sure. Lol. I’m thankful you enjoyed the pix. Thanks again.

Thank you! I always read and learn from critiques. Sometimes the ideas are helpful and I try them and use them. At the end of the day, we have to like what we shoot I think. When these stood all together I took some shots bc I didn’t know if we would see any other wild horses. I didn’t care they were all together as I was happy to see them. I guess we get what we get some times. Thanks again.

Very well said!

Hello Judi! I think this is a beautiful photo! I actually can’t even imagine it being better if they were separated. I feel like you were able to capture a very tender moment between all these friends. And actually their heads are all separated so maybe that’s what that person was talking about? I think your choice to make this black and white is also good as I feel it elevates it to a fine art image. I truly could see this being in an art gallery. Beautiful work and that must have been an amazing experience!

Hi Vanessa! Thank you SO much for your kind words. I also prefer it in b/w over color. Was thinking of even trying a light brown/sepia. Not sure. The instructor in a workshop said that its best to have them apart. I don’t know. I was so excited to see them, I truly didn’t care they were not. And to know the babies were all about them laying down (about four) even made it more tender. They were going to nap while the babies did. Babies all over…so wouldn’t have worked to well to have them all in the photo too, they were spread out and laying in the dirt. I guess kids, or animals, love the dirt. :slight_smile: Thanks again for your critique!

1 Like

I like the frame and your choice of goint to B&W.
The more subject we have, the more difficult it is to organise the frame and you have done a nice job here.
Cheers!