Stick Creature tip toeing across the water

The dam is in the whipstock Forest near old alluvial gold diggings. The sunset set and the sky turned orange.

Specific Feedback Requested

All Feedback

Technical Details

Canon 5d sr 200mm 200mm 320iso f14 10s

1 Like

This is a terrific image! It has it all including a stick creature. The colors are gorgeous and blend so well. The small path behind the creature seems to be saying “come with me into this magical forest”. :blush: The reflections draw you in and add to the mysterious surroundings. There is a lot of story telling going on. I just love everything about it, can you tell?. Thanks for sharing this one.

David,

I think I can pretty much agree with all that Donna wrote! There’s a lot to be imagined on the shore; the details are great and there’s a lot to see - and imagine. the white snag holds the center of attentiion and well described by Donna as a “stick creature.”

There’s one thing that she didn’t mention that is holding this one back, IMO. And that’s the big tree. It’s not in focus - completely assuming the intentional focus point was on the shore and the details there. So not sure if you intended the tree to be soft? Even if it were sharp, I think it’s creating a tension that I don’t think adds to the scene and would then compete with the details on the shore.

I took huge liberty here and I hope you don’t mind. I cropped out the tree completely - but in order to do that and retain all that is needed on the shore, I had to include the base of the tree and its reflection. and to my happy surprise, the content-aware cloning in PS did it’s usual wonders. Here’s what it looks like without the big tree. Not sure if it’s better, but wanted to illustrate to see.

Curious your thoughts on including the tree and tuft of grass.

Thanks,

Lon

1 Like

I intentionally left the tree out of focus and thanks for the crop. Interesting comparing but I feel that the tree is being in gives depth to the image and being out of focus lets the viewer know that I want them to look at the stick creature. Thanks now I have 2 photos. Interested to read other people’s thoughts.

Thanks Donna

What a find, David. I love the creature. I like your comp with the tree in the foreground. I’m trying to figure out a crop that would move the creature from the center, but can’t see one. So, I’ll just enjoy it as is. Well seen.

This is a very nice photo, but the title gives too much away. You have told the viewer exactly what to look at and exactly how to interpret it, giving us nothing to do. Viewing a photograph is as subjective as making it, and you should allow the viewer to appreciate it on their own terms

I agree having the tree there does give this some depth and it’s true that the oof tree/grasses might cause the viewer to concentrate on what’s sharply in focus. IMHO, and so please understand it’s just my opinion and not your vision… while I can’t disagree that the presence of the tree doesn’t do what you intended, it does. But at what cost? I believe the stick creature, with the stark contrast of the white branches literally draws it’s own attention with or without the big tree? And depth is important if you’re showcasing near AND far details, but in this case, you’re only trying to showcase the fascinating sticks. Selective focus, shallow dof, all that have their place in photography, in my view the negatives of the oof tree outweigh what the presence of the tree is accomplishing. Again, just one person’s opinion. HOpe if makes sense and hope I’m not being too harsh

Welcome Chuck. I have got to agree with you . I need to give more thought to the title. Very good point you have made thank you.

1 Like

Hi David,

I like the photo, and the “Stick Creature” on the bank does add an interesting focal point. I however, have to disagree with Lon on cropping out the FG tree. Even though it is out of focus, I think it frames the creature in nicely on the left side, while that small yellowing sapling does so on the right.

I am on the fence if your title gives too much away as to what to look at or think about the photo. I might not have thought of that fallen tree as a creature if you did not mention it, but now that it is a creature, it makes the whole photo much more whimsical for me.

I have to say that I love the framing you created by including the tree but, it’s too out of focus and instantly draws attention to itself creating tension in the image where there shouldn’t be any. Had you made the tree sharp or less OOF than it is, then including the tree is a very nice use of framing. However, I have to agree with @Lon_Overacker about removing it because it is such a distraction. Cropped down square though is leaving too much negative space in the water so I would crop about a third of the water off the bottom, right above where the bubble line in the water is. I would also crop just a smidge off the left side of Lon’s rework to remove that tree trunk in the ULC. Lastly, to balance it out I would crop a smidge off the right side so that the yellow flowering tree and the shrub poking up from the creatures tail are equidistance from the edge. Here is what I mean.

I like the original composition so much though that if this is close by, I would go shoot it again, including the tree and try to get everything more in focus. There is just a ton to like about this image. Well seen also.

Engaging image David. This feels like something in a forest that you are not supposed to see, but yet all of a sudden…there it is. I do like the idea of the tree being a framing element. I find the left side tends to pull me away with the bright open space and the bright tree. I really love all the details in the creature, the undergrowth and the trees and think a tighter crop could bring those out a bit more. I cropped a bit of the LS and the bottom and darkened the LS. What a Magical, Mystery shot you got.

1 Like

Thank David. The yellow sapling is a yellow wattle and the tree at the left of the stick creature is a gum tree both struggling to survive.

Very nice and intriguing image.
I do agree with the “no” tree version.

Intriguing image. I think what makes it look like a creature walking on water is that the branches stop right at the edge of the lake. They are also bent in the shape of legs. It’s interesting because in your mind it goes back and forth between tree and creature. No wonder @Chuck_Kimmerle likes it. It’s the basis for much of his work. I think the image is weaker without the tree but it would have been preferable to have it in focus. I find the yellow tree a bit disturbing. It’s the even spacing between tree, creature, and yellow tree that I don’t like so much.

1 Like

Thanks to all for your comments. I go back and taken another photo with the tree in the foreground sharpen, the stick creature off centre, but I left in the golden wattle sapling.
In regards to renaming I thought maybe “Winter is ending”

The reshot is much better. One thing about it is that it seems to have a magenta color cast to it. Easily changed if you have a mind to do so.

Thanks Igor. I very much appreciate your critique plus everybody’s else. I agree that there

is a magenta cast which I have changed.