Still Life

This is a light painted still life taken in the studio of another of my Mom’s vases , along with several items of family significance and placed on Mom’s sewing cabinet (which I had to lift/manuever into my studio-no small feat but it means my bum shoulder has definitely gotten better!).

Nikon 850, with 60 mm lens at f11, 30 seconds, tripod, cable release. I light painted both the subjects and a bit of the backdrop behind the flower.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Kathy: This reminds me of the work of old time NPN Flora mod Pat Sampson’s work with vases and old table tops. I hope you will take that as the high compliment intended. So many marvelous and evocative elements and really well lit. Most excellent and many kudos! :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

A beautiful composition, Kathy and your lighting is incredible. I’m curious what you used for a light source to get such beautiful control?

Hi Dennis

Thank you !! I used a teeny little flashlight with a snoot for the main light. I used a larger flash light with a scarf over it to get the Yellowish color behind the flower. It took many tries. I would have liked to been able to go for more time but after 30 seconds I had to go to bulb and I could not hold onto two flashlights and the cable release. So much moving from side to side and above and then forward to get the light on the back without getting that light on the flower or knocking the tripod over. The more times I tried, it worked out better because I started figuring out how much time I needed in the separate parts.

1 Like

Wow, this is excellent! Great composition and I’m in awe of your lighting. It evokes such a nostalgic mood.

1 Like

Hi @Kathy_Snead. Thanks for the explanation. You might want to check your cable release. All the ones I’ve had have a simple mechanical slider that can be used to hold the shutter release button down. If yours doesn’t, some of the after market ones do. I recently picked up a Vello Shutter Boss for my Canons because it incorporated an intervalometer for timelapse and it has one.

1 Like

Dennis
I am one of those people who only learns technology details about my equipment when I need it or my lack of knowledge causes a roadblock. You are absolutely correct!! There, on my cable release, is a prominent “lock” button which I have blithely ignored, for umpteen years, until now. Thank you so much for pointing this out!!
Kathy

A wonderful still life studio shot of memorable items belonging to your family, Kathy. You did a really super job painting the light. Great work.

1 Like

Perfection! Brought up sentimental memories for me… thank you. The elements, lighting and composition are wonderful. As a personal preference only I would reduce the size of the white mat.

1 Like

An excellently composed still life. Great work on the lighting.

1 Like

Hi Kathy! Beautiful composition and lighting. IMO everything works together very well. It tells a story of something that has a lot of personal meaning to you. Well done!

1 Like

This is lovely, Kathy. It has a wonderful nostalgic mood that I find very inviting. I have to say that your patience and experimentation with the lighting worked beautifully. No suggestions from me.

1 Like