Still Standing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Captured on the west coast of Florida. I was on a hunt for lightning, however it was not to be, The sky opened up briefly and for 15-20 minutes I was gifted a pleasing sunset.

Specific Feedback

A next time is always welcomed.

Technical Details

Captured on the Nikon Z8 with the 24-120 f4 S lens. Shutter speed is 5.0 sec, ISO 64, f 16. Image processed in LR and TK 8.

This is a very cool image with a nice, strong, and “in your face” subject. I like the colours and the dramatic clouds. I also think that the image could be even stronger if you could have shot this from a slightly higher point of view. This would give you two things: 1, the wooden pilings would have a bit more separation from the line of the horizon and 2, a bit more separation from each other making each one stand out just that little bit more.

Love the colors in this image! The light too! I agree with Tom’s comments. Don’t know if there was a higher vantage point here to get separation from the horizon. If not maybe turning the LCD and holding camera overhead, or if on tripod…holding that up (just ideas.)
Also, you could crop the left hand side in slightly to match the piers-to-edge space on both sides of the image to balance the image better. That would also remove the object in the lower left edge.

1 Like

I love the colors and light in this image. I also like that you didn’t let the pilings just go black as most photographers do. Nice job.

1 Like

Thanks Tom. I do appreciate the positives. It was my intention to have the pilings coming at you. I did shoot some frames with the separation. Thanks for taking the time to look at the picture.

Thanks James. I’ll definitely try you suggestions.

Thank you Igor.

This is a very interesting scene with beautiful lighting. I think you can crop quite a bit off from the left side and forget about the centered framing. My eye is pulled towards the golden sunlight in the sky and reflecting in the water so it moves in that direction anyways, as opposed to pulling my into the center.

1 Like

Howdy Mozzam! Nice piers - my first reaction was similar to Tom’s in that I felt like there needed to be more negative space around/between the posts. After reading your description in the replies, however, I see that you want them to be in our face and coming out of the frame towards us. In that regard, your framing works well.

As Eric B. pointed out, that bright sky really pulls the eye away from the middle of the frame. I thought that perhaps lightening up the posts a bit and darkening that corner of the sky would bring more attention back to the piers. I had a go at it to see if that would look ok. Brightening up the posts really brought out all the cool colors in them, which we can see in the original, but more subtly. Maybe you don’t want that more saturated color, though.

At any rate, I’d say the sky gods gave you a lovely opportunity and you took good advantage of it.

My thoughts (darkened sky a bit; brightened water a bit; brightened and increased contrast, both light and color, on the posts); oh, and also cropped to 4:5 ratio, off the left:

1 Like

Thanks Igor, sincerely appreciate the kind words.

Thanks Eric. I like your suggestion. Follow the light, I definitely will redo. Thank you.

Hi Bonnie, I actually have another image of the same scene with your suggestions. I like what you did and it also works. I did want the pilings coming at me. I do have other images with separation. It’s definitely a place I am going to revisit. Many thanks for looking at my picture.

1 Like

Very cool, Mozzam. I like how there are different colors around the pilings on water and sand and even reflecting on the wood, you also got some amazing clouds. Sure a step back and a bit higher POV could have been nice, but I like what I see. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you.