Bass harbor Lighthouse

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I didn’t expect much when I proceeded to the lighthouse there being 100% cloud cover. But by the time I climbed down the rocky granite coast to my position, a break appeared along the horizon. As this was Fujichrome Velvia with it’s limited dynamic range, it was impossible to keep the sun from blowing out even with a 3 stop split ND. It was actually a nice red ball as you can see in the reflected waves. Exposure blending was not widely practiced at the time.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback or critique is always welcome.

Technical Details

Unknown other than Velvia transparency was used. And probably a Canon 5d Mk2 with a 17-40 lens.

3 Likes

The larger version is particularly nice, Mike! I actually like the way the sun is rendered with those wonderful radiating rays. It is as I would expect the sun to be, bright. The drama in the sky with those amazing clouds is magical. I also like the red highlights in both the water and some of the granite rocks. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

I remember Velvia. Maybe 5 stops of dynamic range. (What do we have today? With Shadows and Highlights sliders maybe 15?) But what colors we got! Actually I wouldn’t know this was film – that brightness from the sun coming below the clouds could overwhelm today’s sensors. The play of light on the water is absolutely gorgeous, as is the composition and the tonalities. I love that the lines on the buildings are vertical – did you sue a view camera to correct keystoning? With Velvia I doubt it was a 5D II and 17-40… Or is there a Velvia preset??? Whatever – it is wonderful!

Simply stunning and beautifully processed. I love the rich colors (I do miss Velvia), the light and that lovely lighthouse. If I had to critique the image, I’d wish that the lighthouse was just a little more to the left as there’s almost no breathing room between it and the edge of the frame. Minor nit of an outstanding image.

Michael, this is a great looking scene, with the rocks, lighthouse, sun and sun reflection making a fine loop in your comp. I was wondering about the red reflection, but your explanation cleared that up. You did very well for using slide film…exposure blending with slides was nearly impossible.

Michael, this is just stunning! I have never been there, but this image makes me want to take the trip to see it. Excellent!

Thanks a lot @Ed_Lowe , @Bret_Edge , @Shirley_Freeman , @Mark_Seaver , @Diane_Miller . @Diane_Miller No view camera or tilt/shift lens used. May not have been 5d2, but def a Canon. A2e, EOS3, EOS1were the cameras i had before digital. Now that I think of it you’re right it couldn’t have been a 5d cause that is a digital camera. Brain fart time.
@Bret_Edge The right edge was a compromise. I was at the widest focal length of my lens, and didn’t want the sun any closer to the left edge.

1 Like

Love it, you metered that to absolute perfection, I’d not even call the sun blown out, there is hue in there right across it, not easy to do with slide film, but you got the shadow detail there as well. Composition wise if works for me as well, the line of the rocks balances out the light trace on the water. If it’s not a drum scan, I’d get one done for this image to get as much of the dynamic range out of it as possible.

This is a really beautiful shot Michael! I love the colours in this - the reds and the blues are just so beautiful. I also really like that the light house is vertical and not leaning like we often see with WA lenses and subjects near the edge of the frame.

Thanks a lot @Tom_Nevesely and @Tomas_Frydrych

Lovely image, Michael. The composition is right on and you had good clouds to work with. It’s mostly a cool image and the sunlight colors really stand out in all that blue.

This is a beautiful image of this scene. The setting sun and reflection adds to the appeal of the image and helps to balance out the frame. One minor nit is that the composition feels tight on both the left and right hand sides of the frame. It might be nice to have a bit more breathing room on both sides, but that is still very minor.