Miracle @ Bass Harbor Lighthouse

Twenty years ago in the last week of August, a miracle occurred @ Bass Harbor Lighthouse in Maine. I was the only one there. LOL I figured August would be a good time to avoid the crowds, but was surprised to find myself alone. An impossibility nowdays with the increased tourism and advent of digital photography. This is a Velvia transparency so don’t know the techs. The sun was actually red as you can see from some reflections in the water but was completely blown out.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

WOW! Perfect symmetry and amazing image. Thank you

Very nice! Spectacular image and atmosphere. I like the warm light in the background and the cooler shade in the foreground. I also like how the red sky merges with the reddish rocks below the lighthouse…

This is a very beautiful image. I very much like the range of colours here!

Mike,
First off you piqued my interest with the title and I had to laugh after reading the story. I know it has been several years since you and I visited the light as we try to avoid the crowds as much as possible while visiting Acadia. Velvia always produced some lovely colors and I have to say that the sky in this image is no exception. The rays from the sun work beautifully here as does the drama in the cloud laden sky. My only suggestion; and this is being very nit picky; would be to try and even out the tones on the lighthouse. An added bonus is that you timed this when the light was on. Beautifully done IMO.

1 Like

Beautiful take on an icon Ed! I’ll be this spot gets crowded these day. My only suggestion would be to reduce the blues a tad; they seem just a little over the top to my eye.

Michael,An image from the time photography was a real art, special in developing. It’s a beauty !!

Just stunning photograph, the colors, comp …just perfect

I can see why film shooter shot on velvia. The blues are impressive. It’s interesting as if this was shot digitally I would have suggested a warmer white balance.

Nice comp. and great clouds in this one

Amazing shot, Michael, especially when considering the limited dynamic range of Velvia. You were so fortunate to have this scene to yourself, both for your photography and just for personal introspection. My only suggestion, and because it’s Velvia I doubt if it can be done effectively, would be to open the blocked shadows up somewhat. Great shot!

Pretty darn good dynamic range for Velvia, you nailed the exposure here to maintain the detail you did. I also like the cool feeling you achieved in your processing, it’s not something usually associated with sunset images, but it seems very fitting in this scene.

Good timing on the red light too !!!

Thanks @EJ_Jewett, @Antonello_Provenzale, @Tom_Nevesely, @John_Williams, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @SunnySra, @Nathan_Klein.
Thanks @Bill_Chambers. Sorry those Velvia shadows are gone. I pulled out all I could get
Thanks @Ed_Lowe. The uneven tones of the lighthouse are a result of my crappy PS skills in trying to dodge it. It was very dark because I think I used a 3 stop grad.
Thanks @Ed_McGuirk. I think the dynamic range I was able to capture was the result of using a 3 stop grad.

Michael,

Like a timeless classic. Not only because it’s from film, but just the classic sense of a coastal (rise or set?) seascape to include rugged coastline, a light house and sun star. Beautiful on all fronts.

Thanks for bringing this one back.

Lon

Spectacular Mike. That’s some serious color in the sky. Love how the setting sun horizontal plane continues into the rocks . I actually like the color of the blown out sun. Beautifully captured.

Superb image- I really like the light and starburst. Isn’t it fun to visit old images, especially winners like this one. Kudos.