WC # 901 Ed @ Bass Harbor Lighthouse

My brother Ed enjoying the view at Bass Harbor Lighthouse. This is a crop from a photo I posted years ago on the old NPN. It didn’t receive much feedback as a lighthouse image so I decided to concentrate on that great sky.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any is appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any is appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D ll, 70-200 f/4 L @70mm, .5 sec @ f/11, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Original image

The sky is indeed lovely, Michael. It’s reflection in the water makes for a gently colorful scene. Ed, the buoy, and the items on the horizon provide a subtle human presence that works adds well to the scene.

Mike,
I actually like the cropped version much better as it does make the sky come to the forefront. In the original the sky above Bass Harbor Light is a little bland when compared to the other half of the sky. I am enjoying the combination of warm and cool tones in the scene along with all of the human elements in the scene. My only suggestion; and this is being super nit picky; would be to add a little canvas to the right side of the image to move marker buoy a little farther from the edge. Minor stuff as this is lovely as is.

I really like the cropped version, Michael. It has a feeling of solitude and peacefulness plus the sky and the cloudscape is gorgeous.

That is a gorgeous sky, Michael. I like the way you framed this and Ed adds a nice focal point to the image.

How about this crop. The buoy at the edge of frame doesn’t work for me.

The edited image is lovely. My only little nit is the light areas in the upper left sky draw the eye there. I would darken them, or even better, fill them with some of the pink/blue sky color using a brush with Mode/Soft Light/ reduced opacity (try starting with 5%).