Evening at Bass Harbor Marsh

Mike and I do not even bother going down to Bass Harbor Light anymore due to the hoards of people that arrive for sunset. Instead we stop at Bass Harbor Marsh or another less visited location. This was not a wow sunset, but I loved the blue clouds and was not going to pass up the opportunity to photograph them.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 28 mm, f 16 @ 0.3 sec, ISO 100, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very beautiful, Ed. You’ve got some great lines created by the clouds and they align nicely with the water contour. Processing looks good to me but I think this image is much stronger as a pano/16:9 with about 1/2 the sky cropped.

1 Like

Ed,

Maybe not that super - Wow sunset, but most certainly a glorious sky! Combine that with the natural s-curve and reflection of the marsh water and you’ve got a winner. I think this works beautifully as presented with no nits or suggestions.

I do think Dave’s notion of a pano crop is a most certainly a valid alternative. Especially how the darker clouds are elongated and stretching across the sky. The symmetry created with a pano crop makes a strong comp. Sure can’t complain about this original though.

Lon

This is a beautifully tranquil scene. The bend in the river is a great compositional element that leads my eyes to the background mountains. I also like how the clouds radiate into the corners of the frame. I do like Dave’s suggestion of a panoramic crop as an alternative. Either way, the subtle light here is beautiful and serene.

This is a very tranquil scene, it has a very calm and soothing mood to it. This feeling is enhanced by the still water and beautiful reflection, getting scenes like this without wind is often not an easy task in Acadia, you were fortunate here. I also like the cooler processing you used, it looks more lik ehow post sunset light looks. I’m with also @Dave_Dillemuth on the pano crop, it would give the image much more impact. If the upper clouds had more color and texture I could see leaving it as is, but in this scene the color is down low, and I would crop to the point where leave sky that equates to whats in the reflection.

Ed, congratulations on this image. I don’t mind this composition/choice of crop at all. I really enjoy seeing all those clouds on top: It adds to the earth below it and I would hate losing any part of it.

Very beautiful and serene. I like it as is, for the serenity. A pano crop would give it more energy.

Beautiful, Ed. I like the sky uncropped. It gives the scene a very expansive feel, which I like here. The crop would be a good alternative, but it would definitely change the feel of the image.

This really is a very peaceful and serene moment you’ve captured. Very pleasing to look at. I guess I don’t really mind of the crop. What do you think about a little bit more room on the left side of the frame? Regardless, a gorgeous scene.

@Ed_Lowe

This is a beautiful image. The shading in the sky is gorgeous; well restrained sat. Great reflection with some nice detail in spite of the ripples. I like the sides where the clumps of trees stop the eye on both sides. Nice comp, though I wonder about a little more in the fg.

Briliant, I say.

Chris

Great shot, Ed. The comp is nicely balanced with the trees on both sides and 1/3 fg and 2/3 sky. Exposure is controlled well with lots of color and detail in the marsh grasses. A pano crop also works but I much prefer this version with the expansive sky. I think the next time we go, I’m going to take a stepladder with us and see if that little bit of added height will give a better vantage point to accentuate the nice s curve of the marsh waters.
:vulcan_salute: