Cape May Lighthouse

This image was taken from the wetlands just off the beach in Cape May, NJ

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3300; 55mm; ISO320; f/11; 1/500 sec; Handheld.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The layering works very nicely for this scene as does the lighting, Nick. The colors look very natural and those clouds are outstanding as they provide a nice back drop for the lighthouse. I could see reducing the cyan just a little in the image. My only other suggestion would be to clone out the OOF cat tail right of center and a couple of brown grasses along the left side. Beautiful image.

Thanks for your comments Ed. I did notice the cyan after I posted the image and corrected it in Lightroom but did not re-post it. I did burn down the cat tail and some other distractions. I never cloned anything out in Photoshop. I have to learn to use that program.

A very pretty scene with a nice, classic composition. The clouds really add to the scene but there seems to be some banding problems in the upper right sky. I’m not sure what might be causing it but sometimes that happens when you reduce the amount of colors in the image. I agree that the cyan is a bit strong also.

Nick, the strong greens and blues really let the white lighthouse stand out for a dramatic view.

Thanks Gary & Mark for your kind words and suggestions.

Real nice Lighthouse image, Nick. We used to go to Cape May every summer when I was a kid. Cloning to cattail would make a huge difference here. You might get very satisfactory results even in Lightroom. It would be worth giving it a try.

Thanks Gary. I did give it a try and it worked out well. I removed the cattail with the healing tool. Here is the re-post.

It’s amazing how the elimination of small eye grabbers can take an image up a few notches. It looks great.

1 Like