Stillness

Last week I posted a black and white image of the same location as this one. The black and white image was all about dynamism – the light, the shapes, the contrast and the sky. My intention for this image was quite different. Almost everything in this image is horizontal, which is intended to give a sense of stillness. It was taken later in the afternoon at a moment when everything seemed to go silent – not a breeze, not a bird song, not even the sound of insects. Quiet, calm, eternal. What drew me to take this picture initially were the colours – the golds, greens and rust against the complementary blue of the river and sky, adding to the harmony of the scene. Stillness, silence and harmony can present as a transcendental moment in our everyday lives. But, in a photograph, it can sometimes present as a complete bore. So, I’m hoping I’ve been able to express something of the transcendence.
Naturally, critique, suggestions and comments are most welcome.

I like the soft light and the shape of the sweeping reeds here. Not a critique per se but I wonder if you moved to the left and was able to angle the camera to the right whether the composition would have more of a diagonal form and less horizontals.

I’m no good at critiquing images intellectually but I think you acheived your goals with this image.

I think this image does a a great job of conveying those feelings. The water just looks so calm, and the use of significant negative space reinforces the sense of calm and stillness. Kerry, I think some of your better images are the ones that are more minimalist, such as this one. I think back to your images of tree covered islands floating in the fog. The contrasting blue/yellow colors create some secondary interest that adds some vitality to the minimalist composition. The light and color here make this image about more than just minimalism.

While I like this very much as presented, I might consider a very slight crop from the top of the sky. The sky is not generating much of the stillness feeling for me (rather it’s the water), and such a crop would make this more of a panoramic aspect ratio, which generally works well with strong horizontal elements. I did a “scrolling crop” on my monitor, and liked how that looked.

This does feel very still. I like the balance of sky vs. water, myself. I feel that if there were less sky, the land would have a feeling of lifting up vs. held in place.

This has such a different mood than you other photos from your canoe trip! I would not have guessed that this was from the same area. What a difference some color makes.

A scene of expansive quietness well conveyed.
My first reaction was to crop some sky, but I realize that as Bonnie points out, that adds a little dynamism that might be the opposite of your intention.
The degree and expanse of yellow seems to counter the feeling of stillness; in the rev below I desaturated yellow a bit. Also touched up the lightest area of dead trees, but I might have steered the image away form your goals.

Kerry,

Mission accomplished on the conveying the feelings of stillness, quiet and calm. I really love the water and grass colors, they could be a image onto themselves. I enjoy minimalist images and this one works quite well.

This is fantastic, Kerry! I think you nailed the feeling that stopped you to take the shot.

The colours in the scene work so well together. You can really get that sense of calm view the image. Some great feedback about cropping the sky ever so slightly. Nicely done!

@Nathan_Klein - Nathan, I understand what you’re saying and, indeed, I did move to the left and worked the diagonals and it was a wonderful picture, I think (I posted a black and white version of that picture a week or so prior to this one). But it’s an entirely different picture than what I was going for here. Now, maybe I failed, but in this picture it is precisely the lack of diagonals that, for me, gives this image a sense of stillness and repose - almost like time standing still. For that feeling I wanted to stress the horizontals not the diagonals (which generally generate a sense of dynamism).
@Michael_Lowe - thanks so much, Micheal
@Ed_McGuirk, @Bonnie_Lampley - Thanks, Ed, for your typically thoughtful reply. I actually went back and made a second version of this with a 16:10 crop. I liked it but coming back to it a couple of days later, it didn’t feel right, for the reasons that Bonnie stated - it felt like it had a tension that I didn’t want in this picture. And yes, Bonnie, colour sure does make a difference. But, when I want to stress the drama of this northern wilderness, I find myself leaning more and more to black and white.
@Dick_Knudson - thanks, Dick, for taking the time to provide a revision. It certainly has merit but, as stated above, I feel the crop detracts more than adds to my intention. As to the colour, the reason I pushed it was to give the image a slightly surreal effect without straying too far from a natural look. What I’m trying to capture are those moments when our perception is heightened and becomes etched in our memories with a vividness that is more like in a dream than actual. Anyway that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
@Alan_Kreyger, @ChrisNoronhaPhoto - Thank you both for taking the time to look and offer some insight. Much appreciated.

1 Like