Stones in pond + 2 rework

Rework 2: New crop, reduced brightness of lichen, a tad less blueish and water cleaning up (all based on comments given below)

Rework 1: Reduced brightness of lichen, a tad less blueish and water cleaning up (all based on comments given below)

Original posting

In April this year I had a short vacation in the province Halland, at the west-coast of Sweden. In a small nature reserve along the coastline I saw these stones, and found them interesting enough to photograph. When back home I did not find this image very interesting, but over time I have come to like it more and more and now so much that I post it here.

What is your opinion?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

1/25, f/5.6, ISO 200, Olympus OM-D E-M1X with 40-150 @ 125 mm (250 mm equiv.), handheld

1 Like

I really like it, Ola. The blue is a really interesting color in the rock, I can see why you photographed it. I really like the reflection on its own too, there’s sections of it that look really abstract and I think could be neat on their own. Beautiful capture!

Oh my. This is just sooo beautiful. And I like the blue cast as well. It will be interesting to see what Alex suggests. I have my ideas but we’ll see.

Oh yes, very interesting. The blue cast works well. The textures between the rocks and their reflections is lovely. I could see a square crop of those main boulders.

Ola, I agree that it is a lovely image. The blue cast is great. I might try darkening the white circles along the right side. They seem to pull my eye off the rocks in the middle of the photo. Someone suggested a square crop, which would also address my concern.

Hello Ola
I do like the overall tone of your image, and the sober mood it shows.
i find the scene a little messy; I love the rocks, i love the reflection, i love those lichen and love those tree branches.
But for me they are not working all together in this composition.

1 Like

Ola, this is a very intriguing image. I love the color tone and the shapes of the rocks. Well seen.

This one grabbed me, but the blue overwhelmed me so I pulled it into Photoshop and did some tinkering -

all the layers are Normal and 100% opacity & fill unless noted. The curves layer was targeted to take down the very brightest bits of lichen using a luminosity mask. Hue/Sat targeted the least saturated pixels and gave them a boost.

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov, @Vanessa_Hill, @Kris_Smith, @David_Bostock, @Bonnie_Lampley, @joaoquintela and @rodney thanks for your kind comments and recommendations.

Vanessa, as you say the reflections are an image in theme selves. I also have more of them since the image is cropped at the bottom. I will look into that possibility in more detail.

Bonnie, Rodney, Kris and Joao I tried several crops. I like all the different parts as Joao listed and tried to include them all. My thinking where that you first look at the brighter parts but then there is a flow from left to right with an expanding area of stones that ends with the lichen explosion. I tried to use the rock crack to the right (and also at the top) as a stop element. That said, I agree that there is a more restricted, maybe square, crop here that will end up in a more concentrated even calmer image. I will explore that.

Kris, I like the blue tint but understand fully that it could be to much for many. Your image is a very good alternative.

Igor, I have not yet posted this for review by Alex but maybe I will do.

That’s a true eye grabber Ola; such a wonderful mix of lines and textures.

Really nice image, Ola. Personally, and this is truly nit-picking, I would bring the blue saturation down just a tad, reduce the highlights just a bit to bring out the texture in those fantastic lichen, and I would remove some of the floating white spots in the water, as they distract from that wonderful reflection. Beautifully seen!

@John_Williams and @J_Fritz_Rumpf thanks for your kind comments. Fritz, thanks for the recommendations on improvements, appreciated. I will take a new look at the image based on the comments given by everyone.

@Vanessa_Hill, @John_Williams, @Kris_Smith, @David_Bostock, @Bonnie_Lampley, @J_Fritz_Rumpf, @joaoquintela, @rodney and @Igor_Doncov, finally I got the time to post some reworks based on your comments. Once again, thank you for taking your time commenting on my image.

Love your final version Ola! My only final thought is that it may be slightly rotated counter-clockwise. (The central reflections seem to be slightly off of perfect alignment.)

1 Like

The final image is lovely!

1 Like