Heavy jigsaw puzzle + rework

REWORK inspired by comments

ORIGINAL

During the 19th century, at the coastline at Gislövshammar in the south-eastern part of Sweden, millstones were carved out from the almost flat limestone beds going out into the sea. The millstones were manufactured by order, each of them having specific dimensions, and then transported to different mills in the Scania province.

So, the bedrocks going into the sea have a number of circular holes that is best photographed when the sea is upset, having the sea water splashing around the holes. However, when I visited the sea was calm, so I only got away with this detail of stone block remnants (and a lot of boring images of circular holes).

Specific Feedback Requested

I like this stone blocks image but have some problem with the URC that is somewhat boring. Any comments on how the improve the image are welcome!

Technical Details

3 Likes

Ola,

Love the graphics and the full tonal range here - including the highlighted stone up top.

I agree I think the UR is a little problematic. I’m pretty sure the two main stone faces that are split with the milled curve on the left - are key and what attracted you (given your composition), so I’m not sure my crop suggestion fits your vision… but I would be tempted to crop in to the right hand stone for a square crop. What’s left in the UR the shadows could be raised a tad just for a hint of detail.

I gave it a try, with some dodging and burning. Wondering what you think. Again, it may not be what you were attracted to in the first place… but of course I have no such predispositions! :slight_smile:

thanks for the back story as well. I think this is a terrfic scene for the b&w presentation. Great tones!

I really like the B&W effect and the cool tones too, Ola. The story really helps to understand what I’m looking at. Very cool image. I think Lon’s crop works well, but may change the feeling and meaning of the image.

Either way, it’s a great image to view, ponder, and appreciate.

I love the black and white treatment that you applied to this image Ola. The tonal gradations are excellent as well. The URC is indeed a problem but I think that @Lon_Overacker has done a really job of eliminating most of the distraction. I kind of like the dark band along the bottom of your original and might include that in a square crop. Thanks for the detailed story about the millstones. Who knew?

@Lon_Overacker, @David_Bostock and @David_Haynes thanks for your kind comments and valuable recommendations. I have posted a rework at the top.

Ola,

Fantastic on the rework! Kudos as you were able to keep most of your original, while incorporating much of the feedback. This looks great! thanks for taking the time to rework and post.

1 Like

Ola, the rework is excellent. Well done.

@Lon_Overacker and @David_Bostock, glad you liked the rework. That is the magic with the NPN community that you get a lot of very good comments (and by reviewing and giving comments on images posted by others increase your understanding of images) that you could weave into your present knowledge and thinking to become a better photographer.

1 Like

Hi Ola,
Such an interesting history, Ola, and a great title. The square crop works great, and I like the way raising the shadows in the URC places more emphasis on the cut-outs, which retain the darker tones to direct my eyes to them. Cool textures too.

ML

@Marylynne_Diggs thanks for taking your time to look at my image and for your kind comments.