Storm Front Over Valdez Bay

One of my favorite landscapes of 2019. A strong storm front was moving in over the bay and was dropping sheets of rain. The East side of the bay was still in sunlight as the storm entered from the West (looking South in this image). I wanted to get the whole expanse so I shot 5 vertical photos and stitched them into this panorama.

All frames: Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 16mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/125, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Gary, catching storm action like this is always a treat. Youā€™ve got a great scene with it mix of sun and two areas of rain. It is looking a bit blue in places, so you might want to try a blue desat. layer through a mask. (If youā€™re into that sort of processingā€¦ :grin:)

I can see why this is a favorite. It would be mine, too. I think the panorama works super well to show such a massive system and the transition from one to another. If it were mine, I would consider trying B&W with this image. B&W seems to be able to bring out the best out of a storm.

Beautiful and dynamic sky and I quite like the processing as presented. To my eye, I most enjoy the clouds and atmospherics in the right 2/3 of the image. I played with cropped maybe 30% off the left and really bringing attention to those low hangers and quite like the crop. That said, I also like the image as presented.

Amazing landscape! Looks like Iceland. Nice to have real weather at times.

A beautiful image and the storm really makes it for me, Gary. A beautiful panorama.

Very dramatic. Great job on the stitching. Iā€™m envious of you getting to live in such a great location. Iā€™ve been to Alaska twice, unfortunately before I knew anything about photography LOL.
:vulcan_salute:

Gary, you are the master of panoramic images, you really know how to maintain interesting elements throughout the entire composition. What I love most about this image is the extreme variety of light and weather across these cloud formations. There are just so many interesting things going on in those clouds, it was very enjoyable to spend some time studying this image.

Gary,

I thought I had already commented - apparently not.

My initial reaction that still holdsā€¦ ā€œNational Geo-esque.ā€ I think that says enough.

Fantastic image.

Lon