Succulent Jewels

single capture f16

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We have a number of succulents in our garden and some have interesting flowers. These are tiny little guys; the entire head is about 2 inches across. As most of you who have been around for awhile know, I’m pretty much a single capture guy but I’m softening regarding stacking. The first image is an 8 image stack in Helicon Focus while the second is a single capture at f16. I like them both but would appreciate your views. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

Suggestions/comments on the stack especially welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 200mm
ISO 400, 1/200 sec @ f4, 8 image stack

Image 2, ISO 400, 1/10 @ f16

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Boy, that’s a tough one, Bill. I like both of them with preference probably depending on my mood. The creamy background in the first one is very appealing, but so is the out of focus view of the background succulent leaves in the second which provides more context for the plant. Clarity of the central area is about a toss-up with only one of the buds being slightly soft in the f/16 version. For this application, I think my preference would lie with the f/16 because of the background. If the background were more distracting, the stack would probably make more sense because you can get really fine control of the background that way.

My first impression is the second one, Bill. But I am going to take a second look later. Love these little jewels. Great job.

Great capture , Bill. I prefer the first image because of the softer background. That said, there is getting more AI routines like blurring the back that work
So well the second image can be made like the first. I am not a fan of Using AI so the first is the winner for me.

Hi Bill,
Lovely succulent. These colors are just so fantastic and natural. I feel like I’m on my knees looking at these buds through my own lens. It’s really nice.

As for preferences, I have a slight preference for the background in the first one as it is less distracting, but I have to say, the second one could look pretty similar with some selective unsharpening, texture reduction, even a slight darkening of it.

I think you achieved the results you wanted in the first, and the question for me would be, did you enjoy the process? Did stacking help you see things or hone your vision for the image? If not, can you achieve the results without stacking through some creative post-processing?

I used to stack like heck with just about every flower shot (back in the Zerene-stacker days), and the work involved made the process less enjoyable for me. I know that’s not the same for others, and stacking is a revelation and an important part of getting the image right for them. For me though, at some point, I decided process was as important as product, and I didn’t want to do multiple frames unless I had to.

The beauty of this is you have two great images!
ML

1 Like

Marylynne: Thanks for your insights and critique. I resisted stacking for a long time primarily presupposing that it was a tedious process and would take a lot of processing time and effort. For me my first love in photography is in the capture. I much prefer time behind the viewfinder to time in front of a computer. Before he passed away my old friend and co-moderator Phil Hodgkins was a pioneer with stacking and produced some pretty spectacular efforts but when he told me how much time it took with the processing I just said no thanks. But Phil liked the computer work more than the capture. Different strokes.

I started dabbling with stacking in PS when some mentioned that it could produce OK results. That process is a little tedious so I tried Helicon and was pretty amazed at how easy it is to work with. My preconceptions have been countered for sure. I also think it has become easier for me with my current camera and lens setup. The 70-200 lets me adjust focus in tiny increments much easier than my old sidekick 200mm macro. I’m not quite acting like the kid with the new toy but I have to admit I like the results and feel like I have another arrow in my quiver so to speak. Progress can be good. >=))>

1 Like