Summer Fantasy 4

Taken the same weekend as the earlier shots in my Summer Fantasy series. This image was from the morning of the really thick fog, but I waited until a couple hours after sunrise when the sun first started to burn through the fog. The trees to the left here are the same ones that are in the Summer Fantasy #2 image that I posted earlier (but that shot was from the next day when the fog was lighter).

While I think there is an interesting image in just the bottom half without the sun (and I have some of those compositions too), it’s so unusual to catch the sun diffused in fog like this that I just had to post this one first.

Even though the fog diffused the sun, this image is a bracket and manual blend of 3 exposures for dynamic range (one for the area immediately around the sun, the second for the rest of the sky, and the third for the landscape.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200 mm f4 lens, at 93mm, ISO 100, 1/60 sec at f16

And just to head Igor off at the pass, here is an alternate version with a white mat. Which do you prefer ? There is some banding in the matted image near the sun. Since I got lazy and just added a mat to the Jpeg, rather than going back to add it to the original image (where there is no banding).

2 Likes

Another excellent one, Ed. The mood and look certainly fit the title. Very dreamy image. I like it better w/o the mat, but not a biggie either way. No suggestions here, most enjoyable.

Beautiful tones, Ed. Nice group of trees in the middle interacting with each other. There is a white curved line under the sun that is a little too obvious. Maybe smoothing it a bit?

I agree that this a a very dreamy image. I personally like the image with out the mat. The bit of color from the flowers in the foreground is a real positive in the image and I think the sun adds a lot also. Fine image.

@svetlana @Harley_Goldman @Richard_Teller thanks to all you folks for your comments, I do appreciate the input.

Lana, there is some serious banding near the sun in the image with the mat. At the last minute I decided to add a second version with a mat. And I got lazy and added the mat to the Jpeg of the first post. Should have gone back and done it on the original.

Do you remember the scene in Crocodile Dundee when he’s accosted by a man with a stiletto in the streets of New York. “That’s not a knife. THIS … is a knife”, he says pulling out a bowie knife with a 8 inch blade.

I particularly like how you handled the sun with a warm halo around it.

A very welcome instruction on technique for a foggy sun scene. The resulting nuance around the sun is the key element to my eye. The left side is not as strong as the rest, so an alternative square crop is available.

2 Likes

Ed,
All of these Summer Fantasy images have been gorgeous, but I think this one is special with the sun rising behind the trees. For my tastes the density of the fog is perfect and adds so much mood to this image as it does a lovely job of diffusing the whole scene. I have just sat here for the last couple of minutes savoring this image as it has such a peaceful soothing mood to it. This is a beauty! BTW, I prefer the white mat as it just seems to finish off the image.

Crocodile Doncov strikes again !!!

Now this is a mat…

Thanks Ed, glad you enjoyed it. The purple loosestrife flowers bloom in the last week of July and first week of August. The Joe Pye flowers bloom in the first two weeks of August. So during the first week of August you get a window where you can do both at the same time. The best loosestrife location is about 4 miles from the Joe Pye location that I took you to last year. So if this pandemic ever ends, then next year you and Mike will have to come up and we can take a crack at both.

Sounds like a plan, Ed. It would be wonderful to hook up again as the other couple of times we were able to get together were a blast. The pandemic has been rough especially for those unfortunate folks who have actually contracted the virus. Stay safe!

Another great image from that incredible morning, Ed. Such a productive day!

I love that you captured the diffused sun and agree with your logic but the warm glow seems to conflict with the cool light of the fog and landscape. Maybe it’s just me since I don’t know if it would appear that way.