Summer night in northern Lapland

Image: A light phenomenon that happened in the middle of a summer night in Lake Inari, the likes of which I have not seen before. The sun is just behind the photographer

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

3 Likes

WOW! Spectacular and fascinating!! I have no idea what the optics are, but I’m delighted I got to see it, even if secondhand.

Amazing light show Jorma! Incredible to see the double rainbow in front of the rain and how the light reflects off the in a 90 degree arc from the rainbow down. Well seen and captured!

Thanks Diana and Steve! I didn’t even think that the light is reflected downwards from the lower arch. When I looked more closely at the picture, I noticed that there is also a third rainbow in it. It rises straight up from the right edge between those two. It could be made clearer with heavier handling

Stunning, Jorma! What an amazing event to have witnessed and photographed. Very nicely done.

Jorma, this is a excellent look at a rare phenomenon, with the reflected light rainbow showing subtly. Part of the fascination is that at first look, it seems like the light is coming from behind and spreading (which is impossible due to the optical physics of rainbow formation). If you want to understand the physics and see some other photos of this phenomenon, go here.

Wow! What an amazing sight Jorma! Well spotted and captured.

Wow, Jorma! I’ve seen double rainbows before, but nothing even remotely close to what you shared here. The fact that the sun is behind the photographer is a key piece to be included with the image. The light we see coming down to the water (or is it the reverse?) is entrancing. It’s as if there is a wall holding the light from reaching the right side of the image and reflecting it higher and higher. Truly a fascinating image with beautiful colors and composition.

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I’ve seen something similar a few times but never this clear. Even though I’ve been traveling in nature for years, something surprising and unseen before always comes up