Late summer squalls

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken two summers ago along Lake Superior. It was a cool day with lots of small storms passing by and many rainbows were created.

Specific Feedback

I like that the rainbow isn’t too overpowering, it may be under powering. The line of waves with the linger exposure turned out well. I’ll post the original in the comments so you can see how I edited.

Technical Details

Sony a7ii 19mm 0.6sec f19 iso50 kept the iso way down to get the longer exposure. Somewhat challenging conditions as it kept raining hard on and off. I have found that the Sony cameras I have had are like cats around water.

1 Like

Cameron, yes, finding the rainbow is slightly challenging, but it fits well with the color in the falling rain/cloud. I like the angled surf across the foreground and how your crop uses that to add depth and impact. I do think that keeping the foreground a bit darker adds to the drama but like the brighter sky.

Great image, Cameron. Really like the way your eye gets drawn in by the stunning cloud, that in turn leads to the rainbow, after which the eyes wander to the waves crashing on the rocks, down to the foreground, back up to the sky. Well seen, photographed, and great processing. Well done!