Rainbow Key

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As of now this is still among the best rainbows I have ever witnessed and photographed. It was during a drive back from Key West that I spotted it and immediately pulled over, got out my camera, and got this shot. I love how the rainbow frames the small key below it in the distance.

Specific Feedback

General feedback is welcome including thoughts about the composition, processing advice, and emotional impact of the image.

Technical Details

Screenshot (15)
I processed the image in Lightroom with minimal adjustments of the tone, clarity and texture. I also applied a linear gradient to the sky mainly to adjust the color, especially the hue.

Beautiful rainbow Ted! Certainly is a perfect arch over the key.

Now I’m not a pro, but I’ve had lots of critiques done on my own photos, so take what you will from my reply. What the folks would tell me is that left side is a bit distracting.

While this island looks familiar (I just live up on the mainland from here :wink:) I’m not quite sure where this is or how much room you have. Could you have backed up or moved further to the right to eliminate the mangroves and rocks on the left side? Unfortunately cropping wouldn’t help this one.

Also, and this is purely up to you and what kind of images you like, but I think this would have benefitted from a longer shutter speed. Would have smoothed the water nicely. I’m guessing by the shutter speed you posted (1/2000 of a second) that this was hand-held.

I know how these go though. They’re a one in a million shot. Like lightning and crepuscular rays exactly where you want it, you can’t predict where they’ll happen. It’s mostly luck. It’s still a beautiful shot. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback on this image Barbara. I decided to take your advice and crop the image to remove the area on the left, which I agree is distracting. I took it into Photoshop and used the remove tool to clean it up further. I do wish I used a longer shutter speed to soften the water, as I usually do this. I think it looks better like this-what do you think?