After the Storm

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the feel of this image in that it conveys the passing storm clouds, and that the rainbow could not exist without the sun shining through a clearing in the opposite direction from which I am looking. Does the curving road disappearing into the distance lead your eye into the image?

Creative direction

With this image I would like for the viewer to feel what it was like for me to have come out of the storm and then seeing this double rainbow looking back into the direction I had just traveled from.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic, Conceptual, Emotional and Technical feedback would be most welcome.

Technical Details

Panoramic image created by stitching together seven vertical frames in Lightroom Classic.
Canon EOS R, Focal length 24mm, f/8.0, 1/50 sec, ISO 1250. Handheld.
Additional processing in Lightroom.

Description

I had just driven through a torrential downpour on this road in Theodore Roosevelt NP in North Dakota, with water and mud covering the road. As I approached this spot there was a clearing to the west and the rain had now let up. With the setting sun ahead I noticed a rainbow forming behind me. I pulled over, got out of my car, and dialed in the settings on my camera. I was not able to capture the entirety of this magnificent double rainbow with one image at the widest focal length of my lens. I then proceeded to capture seven vertical frames which I stitched together to create this panoramic image.

2 Likes

Ted, I can only imagine the feeling you had when you were capturing this, especially while capturing enough images to stitch this together, I would have been a little nervous that the rainbows would have diminished before getting all of the images I wanted.

Wow, nicely done! I’m sorry but I’m just a little jealous. I have a few rainbow images deep in the archives somewhere but nothing like this.
Seriously though, I’m happy for you, I’m glad you had the chance to get this, especially with such a nice FG and with the winding road to boot!

The only thing I can suggest is to run this through denoise for a slightly cleaner looking sky and slightly cleaner colors in the rainbows.
I tried running it through Topaz in the Standard mode at low strength and it looked good!
That may not be the look you want, maybe you want the larger grainy look and that’s great if that’s the case. :slight_smile:

Wonderful image, Ted! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A beautiful rainbow image, Ted. To tell the truth the rainbow and the bright interior grab my eye so hard that the road becomes something of a non-entity for me. It’s a nice curvy leading line, but is simply overpowered by the rainbow.

1 Like

Seeing and photographing a full double rainbow is always a treat. The rainbow really stands out here, with the road making a nice leading line. I also like the bit of rainbow reflecting off the road near the lrc.

1 Like

Thanks Mark.

Thanks Dennis. Yes, I was lucky to come across that rainbow in that one moment. It’s not often that you do.

Thanks so much for taking the time with this image Merv. I’m glad you liked it. I think I will run it through Topaz Denoise as you suggested, and see if it makes an improvement.