Summer Reflections

Two of my images combined…

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I was loving the reflections on this River and loving the swallows racing around and skimming over the top. Does the swallow add to the image? I also tried blending two of my images together to have 2 swallows in one.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I love trying to capture birds in flight and I love the challenge of swallows as they are so fast and make quick turns. I thought that their color against the greens and blues would be a nice complement. I was hoping this image has kind of a dreamy, surreal look to it.

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 3200, 1/2500, f6.3, 300mm. Panning the swallows.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure if this works. I’m thinking that the swallow should have been sharper. But I do like the placement of the bird. Any feedback is appreciated.

Vanessa, these are beautiful. I like both pictures, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the first with the touches of blue. I did not realize the object was a swallow until I read your description. I thought it might be a leaf floating on the water. I see now why you were attracted to these shots. I find the bird distracting. You mention that it isn’t very sharp. I think that and the fact it is so small makes it hard to identify. Both shots exemplify the beauty of the reflections all on their own. Very lovely, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments @Barbara_Djordjevic ! Good to know that the swallow doesn’t stand out enough for it to matter. I guess I should have just posted a reflection without. They were too far away. It still was fun to track and capture them though!

Vanessa, it is what makes the picture important to you. That matters.

1 Like