Summertime and pano crop

Pano crop as suggested…

Watermelon is my favorite! This is a watermelon field I took a picture of in the summer. I liked how the sun’s rays were hitting the melon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Phone, got on the ground to try and show the field going off in the distance. Brightened the foreground. Brought down overall brightness and brought up shadows. Added saturation and warmth. Did a warm filter.

1 Like

Interesting and a very nice idea, but I’d expect the shadows to be blue instead of green.

1 Like

A lovely and unusual image. The sunrays are very nice.

I wonder if cropping a slice from the bottom would work? The green dirt and the grey in the sky look a little strange.

1 Like

The colors do look a little different. I wonder if the greenish soil is caused by fertilizer. Perhaps crop from bottom to remove large patch of dirt on lower left so have a pano?

1 Like

Thank you @glennie @Jim_Gavin @Diane_Miller for looking at my picture and your comments too. Maybe because I did a warm filter is why the colors are like that in the shadows. But unfortunately we have a lot of pollution in our sky so it looks brown or gray or green a lot. This is the original image…

Based on your original file, it looks like your processing somehow added a strong green color cast to the image, which IMO looks too un-natural. As @Diane_Miller noted, in real life shadows (like in the dirt) would naturally have a slight blue cast. And in real life greens often have a mix of green and yellow in them, which is especially noticeable in things like backlit leaves. Whatever you did with your processing just adds a wash of green to everything, which doesn’t really work well for my taste.

1 Like

The plain gray along the top is also not a good feature. The image was shot into the sun. With light hitting the lens directly any fine oily film will cause the sort of washed-out flare you have. It’s always necessary to shade the lens with a camera phone, and keep it completely clean.

If you have the original file without any processing, try cropping out the plain BG on top and using the Dehaze slider if you have one – I don’t know what you use for processing. It will give some saturation without adding strange colors. If you don’t have that adjustment, just try contrast and saturation.

Actually, air pollution can be wonderful for photography. It gives some natural warmth and softens shadows. My favorite light is clearing Los Angeles fog with an upper layer of smog. The downside is needing to go to LA to find it.

I too am seeing the green cast. If you’re working on a calibrated screen that should be an easy fix. If your not on a calibrated screen, that would be a great goal to work toward. (Without calibration a photography forum is a visual “Tower of Babel.” :grin: )

I do like the idea of showing the watermelon in its true environment. There are perhaps some things that you can work on - showing more of the fruit with its plants by cropping off the bare area on the top as well the bottom - play with the crop.
The green too may need a bit of cast adjustment.