One of a kind

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On a walk in the fields near my house, I was looking for something special towards sunset when the light on the wheat fields gives them a special charm, I was lucky enough to find this flower (poppy I believe…) at one of the ends of the field just as the sun started to disappear behind the hills around the valley.

Specific Feedback

I’ll appreciate any feedback

Technical Details

Canon M50
ISO 100, 90mm, f/8.0
Lens Tamron SP 90mm

1 Like

Wonderful Ron! I love the single flower lost in the field and that great light. The “spotlight on the star of the show” works well here.

I had two thoughts you might play with. A shorter crop factor would emphasize the flower even more to my eye. You could either crop outright, or transform the top shorter. I also think you could increase that foreground contrast just a little to also draw in the eye to that all important flower.

Here’s a couple of rough examples of the above:

This is very nice, Ron - beautiful light - but I tend to agree with @John_Williams . This picture is really about that single red poppy bathed in the morninglight, but the way the image is framed the poppy is in visual competition with the sun which, in my opinion dilutes your intention. Personally, I wouldn’t crop quite to the extreme that John did. You have it framed in a 3:2 aspect ratio, I would try 5:7 cropped from the top and see what you think.

Lovely scene, Ron. Even at F/8 you have a very shallow depth of field. I love the dew covered grasses surrounding the poppy and the OOF background. As the other have mentioned I think a crop is in order. I would make it more about the flower and crop out the sun peaking into the top of the frame. Leaving the Sun rays lets you know the sun is there and cropping down far enough to make it less of a 50/50 framing, top to bottom helps with balance. You could go even further and crop out the entire background and make this only about the poppy and that lovely OOF background grass. I love how you offset the poppy.

Hi Ron,

This is great!
I love how the poppy stands out so well among the surrounding grass.
The backlighting is awesome.
I like how the poppy and grass this side of the river/stream is the only things in full light.
The river/stream adds depth and the DOF around the poppy and FG grass looks very pleasing to me.

As others have said, the lower portion of the sun is competing with the poppy, the crop examples shown by @John_Williams look good, even the stretched upper portion in his top example looks good (the one that changes the perspective to a slightly higher shooting angle).
The sunrays should be enough to let the viewer know that the sun is just out of frame.

To me, just about any crop like a 5x7 or a 4x5 would work (although, a 5x7 crop would be the closest to your original vertical), it’s just a matter of which way you prefer to take it and you could also leave it as is if that’s what you prefer. :slight_smile:

It’s a wonderful capture, it has a very nice artistic feel. :slight_smile:

Love it! :slight_smile:

I actually like the bit of sun in the image. The image takes on a different feel to it without it. I’m wondering if it’s possible to clone in the bright yellow that’s right next to the white into the sun’s white area.

2 Likes

Igor is right and he brings up a point that I should have mentioned in my first response.
I do like the image as it is!
And of course, there doesn’t have to be a single element of interest, even with the sun left as is, the poppy is still the star!

Thank you very much for your feedback John

1 Like

Thanks Kerry, I’ll definitely try it

Thanks David, I’ll try your suggestion as well

Thank you for your feedback Marvin, I appreciate it

1 Like

Ron,

A little late here, but had to stop and comment how much I love this image! Great job spotting this and recognizing the potential.

The lone poppy stands out of course and the link between the poppy and field of grass and the reaching out of the sun’s rays is wonderful. For me, I like that the partial sun is included; while it does take some attention, I think the relationship between the elements is key and it’s presence works - at least for me.

The only suggestion I have is echoing the thought of “squishing” a little to reduce the vertical distance. But that’s pretty minor. I think this is wonderful as presented.

Lon

1 Like