At the edge of the wheat field

Poppies at the edge of a wheat field covered with other poppies…
Not far from my home. Hills of Torino, Italy, Sunday evening.

digital 35mm, 100/2.8 macro, iso 100, f/8, 1/60 sec, tripod

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

1 Like

I like this for the detail in the foreground flower and the softness of the background. I could see cropping the dark area on the top.

Very beautiful, Antonello - the depth of the image gives the viewer a sense of place, with the two foreground flowers establishing a perfect focal point.

Lovely, Antonello. I really like your composition. And thank you-it’s a most appropriate image for my country’s Memorial Day.

Allen, Ian and Dennis, thanks a lot for your comments!

Allen: I tried cropping and it makes sense, but the image acquires a somewhat different flavour -
so in the end I opted for keeping the dark strip at the top - but I fully see your point. Thanks!

Beautiful capture of a natural scene. All the elements work well together to tell your story. Nicely done and composed.

Thanks Patricia! I am happy you like the image.

I love poppies Antonello and they are very common in my country (Belgium) too. In fact, they’re my favourite flower for their colour and where they choose to grow… in the fields… I find the dark bit at the top a bit distracting so I would also crop that off. Suggestion: photographing through poppies at the front so they are out of focus and then focusing on one in the distance? In any case nice as is, I should go to Italy some time to see the poppy fields there.

Grt, Ingrid.

@Ingrid_Vekemans
Thanks Ingrid! I agree with the dark band at the top, I was myself in doubt about it… and apparently it raised both negative and positive comments - but the negative ones are the majority… :smile:

The suggestion on out-of-focus fg flowers and a rear flower in focus is very good, I tried it sometimes but it does require a very fluffy foreground…

And you are welcome to Italy any time!

All the best
Antonello