CA Poppies

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I was out looking for birds and therefore had lots of glass loaded up and I happened upon this colorful rocky outcropping with some blooming poppies. I couldn’t not shoot it. I used my D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/1000th, f/8.0, ISO 800, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi Dave, this is a very interesting study of the poppies and I love the habitat you are showing. I think the poppies right in the middle of the image is the subject of the image. I do think as presented the LR corner is a little too bright. It just pulls my eyes there and with that corner being out of focus, I find it a little distracting. I would also consider making the OOF branches in the BG less contrasty. I think it would make the subject to stand out a little more.

Wow what a wonderful Poppy bloom among such cool rocks! I agree with the previous comment that the Out of focus branches in the background and the out of focus poppies in the foreground could be brought to less attention with some burning and clarity adjustment.

I really like the angle you chose to shoot from and the compression from the telephoto lens. It makes for interesting grouping and patterns.

Aside from that lower R corner on which others have already commented, I think this is excellent. The soft yellows of the poppies really stand out against the textures and hues of the rocks, which you’ve caught in such fine detail.

The lichen covered rock goes very well with the poppies. Only suggestion may be to reduce the brightness of the poppies in the lower right corner.

Dave,

Beautiful mix of colors and combo of the lichen covered rock, grasses and poppies. Other than the already mentioned darkening of the LRC, I think this is beautifully captured.

We should be hitting peak time in the gold country about now. Wish I could get out there! thanks for bringing it to us.

Lon