California Poppies

I wouldn’t claim this to be a masterpiece, but it’s amazing how well my iPhone 8 does. This is a shot from Mt.Diablo, east of my home, where the poppies were in full form this spring.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: ISO20, f/1.8, 3.99mm, 1/1900 sec. Hmm, very interesting that the ISO was so low and the shutter speed so fast.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Kathy, both the poppies and the hillsides look great. You’ve got a good focus on the poppies front and center that leads back to the trees and the distant hillside. Looks like a beautiful day.

Kathy,

Dang, another year I missed heading up to Mt. Diablo this spring. Looks like a grand year for the poppies. This image certainly captures that. Love the vibrance and the greens look spot on natural.

Lon

These iPhones have an amazing ability to handle dynamic range, This is a good example of that in that the shadows have a lot of detail. One issue I have is controlling white balance. It seems to automatically shift without an understanding or control by the user. The temperature adjustment in phone editing is a joke. But this issue doesn’t manifest itself on a sunny day like this.

Kathy: I’ve found the settings interesting on my I Phone as well. Amazing DOF at this aperture as well. A great springtime image that makes me want to be there. :+1::+1:>=))>

Great colors and clarity in this image, Kathy! It’s kind of amazing that with those tiny little lenses you can shoot at f/1.8 and still get front to back focus! That’s actually quite an advantage for landscape photography!