The fallen.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The leaves seemed to have arranged themselves to avoid one area of grass.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/100 s, f/8, ISO 800, Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 @ 24 mm, CPL, HH.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

Ronald, the complimentary colors play off each other in an interesting composition of red and green. The intesity of the leaves is stricking. I having difficulty finding a focal point. The grass certainly draws the eye but the leaves seem to compete. I tried a crop that put the grass as more of the point and the leaves still hold their own without overwhelming the composition. That is just my two cents reaction to a stunning photograph. By the way I think the vinette you added helps. I included one in the edit. After posting my edit I wonder if the crop to too tight and yours is more expansive and expresses the joy of the falalen leaves.

1 Like

I like the idea behind this image but have some suggestions.

The narrow vertical format doesn’t work well for me. So I would change that.

When using complementary colors it’s better to have one color dominate and the other support it. Codominance doesn’t work as well. Usually the cool ones dominate and the warm ones are accents. However, here you could crop to make the reverse.

I tried cooling the image and liked it more than the warmer.

Igor, you have identified what was challenging me about this picture. Your crop is very pleasing to my eye.

@Barbara_Djordjevic and @Igor_Doncov, thank you for viewing the photo and commenting. I agree that the vertical format may have been too vertical, but, with the suggested crop, I would sorely miss the patch of green grass which is what originally caught my eye. I do like the cooler color.

Having the one green corner feels a bit unbalanced to me, and so I prefer @Barbara_Djordjevic’s crop. The patch of grass is an interesting focal point; typically you expect the fall color to be accentuated, but here it accentuates the grass which I find very intriguing.

Very interesting, Ronald. I can understand Barbara and (as usual) I see Igor’s point. But for some reason, I like the original colors and even the crop. However, I see how Barbara’s approach is working as well. Anyway for me there is an energy and even … restlessness in the photograph which has something to do with the color. The color of the leaves seems to flow around the intense green patch in the center. It works for me. And that’s something great about photography. Thanks for sharing.