Clinging on.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Last few leaves on the trees in a local park at dusk.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/200 s, f/10, ISO 200, Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 @ 46 mm, CPL, HH.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

1 Like

Ronald, this is my kind of image! I absolutely love the simplicity here. You have the clean sky, the clean silhouettes of the trees, and those few remaining leaves that tell the whole story. I love it.

Is this an image about crows and branches. If so then the crows should be more prominent. I would consider a crop. I would also increase the luminosity of the blue color a bit. I’m looking from a smart phone. The impression may be different on a big screen.

Thank you, @Tom_Nevesely and @Igor_Doncov for you comments. The photo is really about the last obstinate leaves of autumn clinging to their branches; the crows had already flown the coop.

I don’t understand.

@Igor_Doncov, that was a failed attempt at humor. No crows, never were. Just leaves.

1 Like

Those remaining leaves feel a bit jaunty to me, fluttering in the breeze at the ends of the branches. I agree with Igor on the crop. Perhaps a 16:9 ratio, cropping off the top? That would make the leaves more prominent in that they would be closer to the frame edge. Black & white would also work well to accentuate them, since this is all about the graphic quality of the silhouetted trees. Here’s what I’m thinking. I know you don’t do a lot of b&w, but I thought I’d see what it would look like. At any rate, it’s a wonderful photo.

Too funny. I like to fool around with a photo before reading comments, and here’s what I came up with:

1 Like

I like your crop, John. It accentuates the height of the trees more than the pano view.

Ronald,

What a wonderful moment. I too thought of birds, but perhaps the story is even better know it’s the leaves that are clinging as best they can before getting completely blown away by winter…

B&W certainly works well, but I preview the very pretty evening blue.

I do agree with a crop from the top; just a little too much extra space that isn’t adding to the scene. I think cropping just about 1/3 or so (of the sky, not the entire height) and also come in a bit from the left so that the slope of the tree tops is almost symetrical left and right.

Beautiful silhouette - the clinging leaves makes the story.

Lon

Thank you, @Bonnie_Lampley, @John_Williams and @Lon_Overacker for the crop suggestion. I’m not a big pano guy, so I’ve now cropped more like John’s version. I also like the blue.