Sun Bathing

I went to a place in northern Washington I had never been this past October. Winthrop, in the Methow Valley, is a fall color extravaganza. Lots of cottonwoods and aspen/birch stands. being new to the area and only having a few days to get familiar made compositions hard to find to say the least. One morning as I was thinking I had run out of time as the sun crested the mountains to the east and flooded the valley with light, I decided to go for it anyway. I don’t usually shoot this kind of scene and light, but I was liking it. Overlooked it for a month and finally spent some time on it a couple of days ago.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

open to any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

open to any

Any pertinent technical details:

D800
24-70

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

yes

2 Likes

Very nicely done. Bet a good spot for some abstracts too!

aF

Wow! If there’s such a thing as “Bev Doolittle Light” you nailed it. I was looking between the trunks for hidden horses. Surely I’m conditioned by a love of her work, but this has a true “painterly” quality to it. Well seen and captured.

Very nice Chris. At lot of us try to capitalize on warm / cool color contrast in our images, but this image does an outstanding job of that in a relatively subtle manner, both your highlights and shadows look great in terms of contrast, exposure, and color balance. Your composition places the trees in a very pleasing arrangement as well. The light on the grass is processed expertly. As a minor nitpick, there is a small out of focus building or sign about 1/3 of the way from the right, along the back edge of the meadow that i would clone out. But otherwise this is a wonderful study in light and texture.

Love the light in this. Excellent comp too. Gives a very peaceful and warm impression. I like this a lot, Chris.

I agree, this is just excellent. The low directional light and those blue shadows really makes this. Great job!

That is some of the most beautiful light I’ve ever seen in a photograph. Even the shadows seem to be glowing. Very nicely done!

Beautiful light wonderfully captured and processed, Chris.

I like the warm/cool color contrast.
-P

The lighting in the scene is delicate and highlights the grove of aspens beautifully, Chris. This has a wonderful glow to it. Did you use Orton? I also like the way you managed to spread the trees out across the frame without any major gaps. My only suggestion would be to clone out what looks to be a sign about 1/3 of the way from the right edge. Gorgeous image.

Thanks for the responses! I thought the man made object in the background was obscure enough to not worry about. I’ll take care of it in the print file. I did add a slight glow, but not true orton. And only about 10-12%.

Thanks again!

I really like this image. The composition is right on but the light is what makes the image. Very well seen and photographed.

I really like the contrast of the warm light on the grasses in the foreground and cool trunks in the background. Personal preference but I think the glow is a little too strong and slightly distracting - and I don’t think this photograph needs any “extra juice”, the light is compelling enough on its own.

Thanks Ron!
I think the glow is more perceived due to the luminance of the shadows. You can see the sides of the trunks facing the light actually appear to have some soft light on them. What I applied was very minor at around 10-12%. Almost imperceptible when clicking it on or off. There were also some controlled burns in the area that allowed some thin smoke to filter/ diffuse the direct light.

I will go back and have a look at it without any added glow and see. I’ll post it as as I have a chance.