Sunrise at a Favorite Place

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve been visiting this Colorado wilderness and photographing this grand scene for over 20 years. It’s never the same although never too different. Some years the water is flowing greater or the flowers are more or less abundant. I have never witnessed one of those dynamic colorful sunrises that blows my mind but I am still overjoyed and grateful for the opportunities I’ve had.

Specific Feedback

This is a single exposure following a histogram inspection. I rather like the contrast range, particularly of the shadowed rock and adjacent water blur. I did NOT process it with noise reduction. Does it need it? What method do you use to determine if it does - perhaps just a zoom in to the darker areas?

I’ve attempted to edit to balance the color to a relatively natural appearance but would be interested if any still exists on your individual monitor.

Do you like the amount of blur in the water from the exposure time or do you prefer silkier water blur?

I’ve added vignette to my preferences. Do you like the amount of vignette or would you prefer it lighter or heavier?

Technical Details

NIkon D850 DSLR
28-70 mm at 62 mm
ISO 64
f/22
0.8 sec
mechanical cable release
single exposure

1 Like

Hi, Matt. The Colorado wilderness areas and mountains are always a breath of fresh air. For two years in a row now, I’ve spent some time in the Eagles Nest Wilderness area of the White River NF. This beautiful photo you shared is impressive and at the same time very calming.

I don’t think that noise reduction appears to be needed. At that ISO setting you used, if there is any noise, it’s clearly only noticeable for a pixel peeper. The method you described (zooming into a dark area) often shows noise, if present or noticeable.

I like the water blur and the striking contrast between the cool and warm colors your photo shows. There are a couple of areas, though, that seem to grab my attention. The first is the long sharp contrast between the BG mountains and the MG range. It is almost like a halo or a very sharp edge. The second area is also a very sharp edge on the waterfall and rock on the right side. A reduction in contrast in those areas could eliminate the distraction. It could also be that my eyes are deceiving me.

The vignette is subtle and effective, as I see it.

1 Like

I don’t think NR is needed for this, at least not much. The blur is nice, but the blue is taking me right out of the photo as a natural scene. Admittedly, it’s my pet peeve, but rivers and streams that look like mouthwash just never work for me. I think about the processing and white balance and all I would do to change things instead of taking in the photo. I also find the vignette a bit heavy, especially in the lower corners where the darks look blocked and the upper where the sky looks over-polarized. A light hand or a blend if layer in Ps could help with that I think. The scene has a natural through-line and grandeur!

1 Like

A beautifully captured image. I don’t think NR is needed, since it was shot at ISO 64. The only thing I would change is adding a bit more warmth to the mountains. This is personal, I find it would balance the rich tones of the fore ground. I like the shutter speed used to show the water flow. Well done.

1 Like