Sunrise on Lake Washington

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I post-processed more than my norm to focus the viewer on the sunrise. Does it work?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
14mm 1/20 sec at f/16, ISO 640 on Nikon Z6

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Jim,

I like your concept here by emphasising the light. It creates a tunnel vision effect on the viewer which creates an impact. I personally would feather the vignette more so that the effect is more natural.

Below is an example of an approach that I would take. Note that you also have some dust spots visible in the image which I would remove.

Thnks Nathan. I’ve implemented both of your suggestions. Jim

Hi Jim. This is a nice sunrise, and I like how the long dock helps channel the viewers eye here. I agree with @Nathan_Klein about feathering the vignette a bit for a smoother transition. Handling mirror image reflections like this can sometimes be tricky. Do you go for a perfectly symmetrical reflection and place the waterline dead center (and potentially risk the image looking too static), or do you place the horizon slightly off-center like you did here?

In this case, i think the clouds in the sky are more interesting than their reflection in the water. What interests me in the water is the texture of the ripples, but these ripples don’t extent to the bottom of the frame (or they get very dark if they do). This is a matter of personal taste, but I might crop some from the bottom, and go for a dead center horizon, because it would place more emphasis on the ripples in the water. Just my $0.02 worth.

Thanks Ed. I’ll try your suggestion and take a look. Jim