Sunrise over Lava Creek

This was the start of what I thought would be a very dramatic sunrise, looking along the Lava Creek drainage toward the Blacktail plateau. However as soon as I took this, the colors started to fade and my goal of catching sunrise light on Electric Peak with fall colors faded with the sun…

5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 100 mm, 1/30 s, f/11, iso 200, tripod

(as a side note, it took nearly a minute for the larger version of this post to become available)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Beautiful and nicely layered scene. I might burn the sky a little (I tried a quick and dirty gradient mask and curve layer) for a little more drama, but looks real nice as presented. Nice mood, too.

Mark, what an amazing sky. The near to far view has us weaving our way through the valley toward the distant hills and the morning sunrise / horizon…:sunglasses:

Well Mark, if that was the extent of the color, you caught it just right as the sky is quite gorgeous!

I like the criss-crossing of ridges giving this image some depth and the larger view shows an appropriate amount of light/detail given the time of day. Not sure if there’s a crop here, but for me the weakest part is the LRC area where there isn’t as much interest. But most crops I can think of lead to an imbalance not an improvement.

I just realized this how you gave nearly 2/3 of the image to the diagonals of the ridgelines, yet barely more than a 1/3 to the dramatic sky. And to that end, the image is even more impressive because of what you saw and attempted to craft. Kudos, Well done.

Lon

Even though you did not get as much drama as you hoped for this turned out beautifully, Mark. We always want more color don’t we? I know I would be happy if it was mine. The layering with the ridgelines works beautifully and the combination of blues and reds is first rate. No suggestions from me.

No complaints on that sky from me; it turned out very nice. In the larger version, the shadows open nicely, but it does look a little soft?

Mark if you consider this a faded sunrise, then I have to start shooting where you live. It looks pretty darn good to me !!! Your processing of the sky and shadows looks spot on to me. My only nitpick is th esame as Lon’s, that the there is some dead space in the LRC. This is crop that I would suggest, it minimizes the dead space and make s the sky more prominent (sorry it cut off your watermark).