Sunset at Derwentwater boat launch

Hi guys and gals. I’d love some critique on this image please. Taken at Derwentwater in the English Lake District in Spring during sunset.

I’d be interested in compositional critique but especially eager for post processing improvement ideas.

Many thanks
Chris

Lovely image Chris. First off I love these old wooden boats. It’s especially cool to see the bigger boar on the left. I get the impression that it’s the Mommy/Daddy/Grandpa boat and the rest are the little ones…

I’d say your processing is quite excellent. The color in the sky/clouds is spot on to my eye and I appreciate how you restrained from pushing the saturation slider too far… :slight_smile: Only suggestion to burn down the water along the right edge above the boat. minor.

I’m mixed on the composition. I really like it, if your intent is the Grandpa and Little ones composition wanting to showcase the classic wooden boats. However, if the intent is to be a nature/landscape image, then I find the boats to “block” the viewer from entering the scene to enjoy the lake and lovely sunset. For me, it’s a stronger image showcasing the boats; tells a pretty good story. Having said that, probably better suited in the Non-Nature Critique gallery.

I really like light as well. Enjoying this scene and image.

Lon

Thanks Lon. Yes they’re lovely. The larger boat is a motor (or even steam?) powered boat that takes visitors on tours of the whole lake. Quite a few lakes round here have them.

The composition was aimed at the boats more than anything whilst trying to catch the colours reflecting in the water and in the sky.

I’ll burn the bit you mentioned.

As always thank you for your feedback. With being new to photography I never feel comfortable giving it on here but find receiving it invaluable.

“Sleek Lines of a boat’s hull”

How often have we read that phrase? You have to love the beautiful workmanship of these old wooden boats. Having their bows prominently displayed emphasizes these lines. I agree that this probably doesn’t belong in this gallery though. I think you’ve made your point very nicely with these 2 large oval shapes dominating the scene. The bright sunlight on the other ship does draw the eye a bit but not in an unwelcome way.

Thanks Igor. Which genre would you say this fits into?

Non-Nature Critique

Ah!

Chris, I like this image a lot, but it belongs in Non-Nature critique. The man made elements are clearly the dominant subject. Your processing looks very good, especially the shadow detail in the foreground. I love the light on the bigger boat on the dock to the left, so much so that I wish it was larger in the frame, and not so close to the left edge of the frame. I might have tried to move to the left here and find another composition that made that boat more prominent in the scene.

Thank you for the feedback. I’ll be visiting that location again and intend to shoot the bigger boat and the jetty it is always moored to so will take on board your points. I’ve moved the thread to the non nature section.

Very cool. To me, the emphasis is clearly on the lines and textures of the old boats, since nothing in the landscape part stands out as well.
The colour in the sky and the distant mountains are a plus, but not a focus.
Reminds me to look up the date of the yearly Seattle wooden boat show!
Sandy

Thanks Sandy