Sunset Over The Potomac

Cold windy day on the Potomac River near my home in Tall Timbers, Md.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Technical Details

Used the Canon 5ds-r and Canon 24mm x 70mm lens at f-20, 1/125sec., and ISO 6400. Post editing in Photoshop to reduce noise. This is a panorama with a partial boat bow because the boat was damaged and only a small portion was usable to photograph.

John Wayne, it’s a lovely scene, with a great sky, nice action in the waves and a strong sense of depth. However, the description for this weekly challenge was “A photo that is entirely a reflection.”, so I’m moving this to landscape.

Thanks, Mark.

The boat makes for a nice bit of framing and context/scale for this image. I like how you’ve connected it up with what I think might be a jetty or breakwater? Such golden beauty, too. That sky. But I am glad you’ve included just a bit of it and didn’t overwhelm the textures of the grass, water and sand. Those deserve to be seen. It barely looks like a river at this location. Really dramatic, yet somehow relaxing, too. As if there’s a beverage waiting for me somewhere close.

Thanks Kristen for your thoughtful comment. There is a wicked bloody mary waiting at the near by Reluctant Navigator marina.

1 Like

A very dramatic sunset, John. It’s an awesome image. If I had to critique anything it would be the jet contrails in the sky. Those are distracting to me and could easily be cloned out…but that’s a minor thing. Wonderful scene, sir.

Thanks David, appreciate your comment and agree about the jet contrails.